Meghan Markle’s Netflix Series ‘Pearl’ Canceled Amid Cutbacks


Meghan Markle
Shutterstock

Dead upon arrival. PearlThe animated series by Meghan Markle, will not air in the end amid cuts at Netflix.

The series was to be produced alongside the Duchess of Sussex (40). David Furnish, Elton John‘s husband. Netflix made cuts and the series was canceled. DeadlinePublished Sunday, May 1. After a recent drop of subscribers, the streamer is in turmoil. PearlThis is one of many projects that they have been working on.

PearlIn August 2021, Archewell Productions announced Meghan as one of their first projects. Prince Harry‘s media company.

“Like many girls her age, our heroine Pearl is on a journey of self-discovery as she tries to overcome life’s daily challenges. I’m thrilled that Archewell Productions, partnered with the powerhouse platform of Netflix and these incredible producers, will together bring you this new animated series, which celebrates extraordinary women throughout history,” the SuitsIn a press release, the alum stated that he was proud to be a part of this special series. “David Furnish and I have been eager to bring this special series to light, and I am delighted we are able to announce it today.”

Deadline notes that Pearl hadn’t gone into production yet and was still in the development phase. Archewell continues to work on several other projects. The Heart of Invictus, a documentary about the veterans who compete in the Invictus Games, an event that was championed by Prince Harry, 37.

Sources said that Harry and Meghan, who were married in 2018, signed a multiyear overall deal with Netflix in Sept 2020. They had been offered almost $100 million. Us WeeklyAt the time. Archewell Productions, their company, is set to create original content such as documentaries, movies, TV shows and children’s programming.

“Our lives, both independent of each other, and as a couple have allowed us to understand the power of the human spirit: of courage, resilience and the need for connection,” the couple said in a statement at the time. “Through our work with diverse communities and their environments, to shining a light on people and causes around the world, our focus will be on creating content that informs but also gives hope.”

The Netflix announcement was followed up by a Spotify deal worth more than $20million. They had to find financial independence months after their retirement as senior royals.

The CBS interview with the couple was recorded on March 20, 2021. They discussed the importance of their business ventures. “My family literally cut me off financially, and I had to afford security for us,” the England native said at the time. “[I was cut off]In the first quarter 2020. But I’ve got what my mom [Princess Diana] left me and without that, we would not have been able to do this.”

He also stated that they needed income to support their security detail. His family had stopped providing this income after he moved to Montecito in California. “During COVID, the suggestion by a friend was, ‘What about streamers?’ … We hadn’t thought about it,” the duke explained. “So, there were all sorts of different options. And look, from my perspective, all I needed was enough money to be able to pay for security to keep my family safe.”

Listen to Us Weekly’s Hot Hollywood as each week, the editors of Us breakdown the most important entertainment news stories.
Listen on Google Play Music