9-year-old girl saves family from carbon monoxide poisoning after unlocking her dad’s phone with his face to call 911

A nine year old girl is being called a hero for saving her family from potentially fatal carbon monoxide poisoning.

After a powerful nor’easter swept through Brockton, Massachusetts, last month, about 500,000 thousand residences lost power, including Jayline Barbosa Brandão’s home.

Her parents, like many families, relied on a generator for warmth. After the storm, they were without power for three days and decided to use a generator for electricity.

Jayline Barbosa Brandão, the girl who saved her family from carbon monoxide poisoning

Jayline was in bed when her father shouted that Jayline’s mother had lost consciousness. The young girl ran into her parents’ room shortly before her dad also passed out. The fourth-grader quickly grabbed her father’s iPhone, used his face to unlock it, and called 911.

“I heard my dad screaming and say my mom passed out,” the child told WFXT. “So, I unlocked it by using my dad’s face.”

The generator had leaked a large amount of poisonous, odorless gas into their home. They were eventually taken to hospital. Thankfully, all five people were conscious as they were being transported—all thanks to Jayline’s quick thinking.

The portable generator used by the Brandão family to keep their home warm

Firefighters measured and reported that the emission was at 1,000 parts per Million. According to Boston 25 News: Levels this high can cause death depending on how long the exposure is.

According to the Consumer Products Safety Commission, people can experience disorientation, unconsciousness and even death when exposed to CO levels above 150 to 200ppm.

Generators should not ever be used in a home.

Jayline’s family had used the borrowed generator only near the back door outside their home for only a few minutes, as it was too loud. The family removed everything from the generator and brought it indoors after they were poisoned.

Although the family believed it was safe, they now realize that both locations are too close to their home.

Jayline Barbosa Brandão's home in Brockton, Massachusetts

Jayline’s mom, Marcelina Brandão, thought it was just a headache when she started feeling unwell.

“Then 2-3 minutes I didn’t feel anything after that,” she recalled. She felt dizzy, nauseated, and then fainted.

Marcelina woke in an ambulance on her way to the hospital. Her quick-thinking daughter saved their lives.

“Oh yes,” she said, “she did. I wouldn’t be here if she wasn’t in the house.”

After dialing 911, Jayline brought her seven-year-old sister to a neighbor’s home to get help.

“She was so smart,” Marcelina said. “That was very scary. If it wasn’t (for) her to call right away, I don’t know what would have happened.”

Jayline Barbosa Brandão with her mom and sister

According to the Consumer Products Safety Commission, approximately 170 Americans die from carbon monoxide poisoning due to consumption of consumer products. This includes ranges water heaters, room heaters, furnaces fireplaces, portable generators, portable generators, charcoal that is burned in homes and other enclosed areas.

Many of these deaths occur after extreme weather events. About 20 cases of carbon monoxide poisoning were reported to the Brockton Fire Department in the aftermath of the nor’easter storm that swept through the area late last month.

The National Weather ServiceA backup generator should be located at least 20 feet from any windows, doors, or vents. It is also recommended that homes have working carbon dioxide detectors.

Marcelina stated that her husband and she are doing much better. Thankfully, her mom, Jayline, and their youngest daughter weren’t really affected by the deadly gas.

Check out the video below to learn more about Jayline’s life-saving actions.

***Did you enjoy our positive and uplifting story? You can support our site simply by SUBSCRIBING to our blog and sharing our stories and thoughts with your friends.