Woman Dies After Falling on Metal Straw That Went Through Her Eye and into Her Brain

July 09, 2019Jul 09, 2019

Our day and age has created a lot of unique causes and progressive movements. The need to focus on sustainability and receding our consumption of plastic has been a hot topic for many years.

Recently, an idea came out to revolutionize the way we use plastic straws. People began to produce metal straws that could be washed and used time and time again in an effort to stop the waste of plastic straws. Sadly, this idea has now left one person dead after a freak accident occurred.

Elena Struthers-Gardner, who was only 60-years-old, sustained a traumatic brain injury after falling while carrying a mason jar-styled drinking glass that had a screw-top lid at her home in Dorset on Nov. 22, an inquest heard on Monday. The straw penetrated thought her eye and then into her brain.

"There is no give in them at all," Assistant coroner Brendan Allen said, according to The Sun. "If someone does fall on one and it’s pointed in the wrong direction, serious injury can occur."

She was immediately rushed to the hospital but doctors were unable to save her. They took her off of the life-support machine and she passed away.

"In his report, Allen recommended that metal straws should not be used with any lid that holds them in place. 'It seems the main problem here is if the lid hadn't been in place the straw would have moved away,' he said Monday," according to Fox.

Please join us in praying for Elena's family during this tragic time. Please share this story with anyone you know who uses metal straws.

What do you think about this? Let us know! Be sure to leave your thoughts in the comments section of our Facebook page. We truly appreciate your readership! Be sure to stay caught up on the latest news with our trending articles. Today's trending article is: Simon Cowell Shows Off Body Transformation After Losing Weight