Witness Recalls Vegas Gunman's Shooting in Hotel Before Attack on Concertgoers

October 11, 2017Oct 11, 2017

On Sunday, October 1, the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history took place. 64-year-old Stephen Paddock shot and killed at least 58 people and injured at least 500 more.

The gunman was located on the 32nd floor at the Mandalay Bay hotel, where he had been checked in for three days. He shot down at concertgoers below at the Route 91 Harvest festival.

The original timeline that was released went as follows: Paddock shot for over ten minutes at the concertgoers. After, a security guard named Jesus Campos went near Paddock’s hotel room and the gunman shot over 200 rounds out the door, shooting the guard in the leg. Finally, the SWAT team located Paddock and when they entered the room, he had shot and killed himself.

Yesterday, Sheriff Lombardo released new details in the case. The timeline that they had originally suspected was wrong, and Lombardo revealed that the security guard was actually shot before the gunman opened fire on the concert goers.

Reportedly, Campos was walking through the hallway when Paddock began shooting at him through the door at around 9:59 p.m. Six minutes later, the gunman followed through with his shooting spree at the concertgoers below. Finally, after 10 minutes of shooting and several more minutes of waiting, the SWAT team located the shooter.

Several questions emerged in light of the new timeline, including why it would have taken the Las Vegas Police Department over 20 minutes to get to Paddock. Additionally, questions emerged about why the hotel did not act sooner when over 200 rounds had been fired a full six minutes before the attack.

On Wednesday, a hotel maintenance worker and a witness to the original shots fired spoke up. Stephen Schuck told TODAY about how the security guard virtually saved his life.

He said, “When the first shooting started, I was kind of frozen for a second. He yelled at me, ‘Take cover! Take cover! If he yelled a second too late, I would have been shot.’”

When Schuck came upon Campos, he had already been shot in the leg. Schuck said that if it weren’t for Campos’ warning, he would have for sure been shot.

He said, “I am incredibly blessed that somehow I came out of there alive.”

Schuck’s account shows the heroism of the security guard, but it has also caused additional questions to be raised. Since there were more than one witness, it is apparent that they would have contacted police immediately, thus making it peculiar that it took so long for law enforcement to reach Paddock.

On late Tuesday, the mother company of the Mandalay Bay spoke out about the timeline.

The MGM Resorts International spokeswoman said, “We cannot be certain about the most recent timeline. We believe what is currently being expressed may not be accurate.”

What do you think about this? Let us know your thoughts on Facebook and please continue praying for the victims of this tragedy. For other breaking news, read our latest article about Harvey Weinstein’s wife’s announcement about their divorce.

Next: Wife of Hollywood Mogul, Democratic Donor Announces She's Leaving Him Oct 10, 2017