On Thursday morning, it was officially confirmed that Sara Netanyahu, the wife of Benjamin Netanyahu, Israel’s Prime Minister, has been charged with a series of crimes. The charges are revolving around the topic of misuse of public funds.
According to Fox News, the 59-year-old was accused of misusing a large sum of public funds, adding up to around $100,000. The justice ministry said that those funds had allegedly been used for catering services.
Some of the charges were “breach of trust” and “falsification by a public servant” over the “Prepared Food Affair.” The prosecution said that Netanyahu, as well as Ezra Seidoff, the former deputy director general, said that the Prime Minister did not have a cook. They said they needed the funds in order to pay for catering services. However, there was a cook all along.
According to reports, the 59-year-old told the cook to keep their employment private and that “she was aware that ordering meals from the outside for the residence when it employed a cook was a violation of the rules.”
According to The Hill, this news does not come as a total shock to the Israeli people. Many people have questioned Netanyahu’s behavior throughout the years when it comes to public funds.
The news that she would face charges first emerged last year, and Prime Minister Netanyahu seemed to dismiss the claims.
He had previously said, “They’re dealing with the most important things in the world. The procedure for replacing a light bulb, trays of food, the cup of tea that was served to her father, a righteous man, on his deathbed.”
At this point, it is unclear what these charges will mean for Netanyahu. We will continue to update as more information is revealed and when punishment for these charges is decided.
In other recent news, a 32-year-old reality star and former British pageant queen just passed away at a young age. Please be praying for her family and friends during this sad time.