On Monday, the troubling news emerged that over two dozen types of salads and wraps are being recalled due to major health concerns. According to CBS, these lunch items are being recalled over a parasite concern.
The news was issued by the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service. They reported that several salads and wraps that contain beef, pork, and poultry products could be infected by a harmful parasite called cyclospora cayetanenis.
The products were distributed by Caito Foods nationwide. The pre-packaged salads and wraps were sold by several major retailers including Trader Joe's, Walgreens, and Kroger. The issue was reportedly first discovered when Caito's supplier, Fresh Express, revealed a recall of lettuce that could have been used in those products.
The FSIS reported that up to 25 products could have been affected by this harmful parasite including Caesar salads, chicken cobb wraps, beef wraps, etc. They said that at this point, the "sold by" date is past, but they are still concerned that customers have the products in their refrigerators.
They said, "FSIS is concerned that some products may be in consumers' refrigerators and that consumers may be at risk due to the length of the cyclospora incubation period."
Now, the Food and Safety Inspection Service is warning consumers to be sensitive about intestinal distress if they have eaten any of the products in the last few weeks. They said that the parasite's incubation period ranges from 2-14 days. Symptoms of the parasite include nausea, cramps, fatigue, aches, fevers, and diarrhea.
This parasite is the same that has caused a major recall of McDonald's salads in restaurants across 15 different states.
The complete list of recalled wraps and salads can be seen here.
If you shop at Trader Joe's, Walgreens, or Krogers, avoid the wraps and salads for the moment! Additionally, if you have purchased any within the last few weeks, throw them out! Share this with friends and family who like to shop there as well. In other recent news, 170 people just fell ill after eating at a popular restaurant and calls are flooding in!