On Monday, a three-year-old boy died after falling into an unsecured grease trap behind a New York coffee and donut shop.
The accident took place outside of Tim Horton's in Rochester, New York.
The Rochester Police Department responded to the call and were unfortunately unable to revive the young boy. This tragedy has broken the hearts of many in the community as well as law enforcement. Investigator Francis Camp called this incident a “horrible, horrible unimaginable, unspeakable tragedy," as he fought back tears during a news release.
According to reports, the toddler had accompanied his mother to work at the coffee shop. Cops were called shortly before 11 a.m. after she had realized her son had wandered from her side.
The young boy was discovered by a witness within minutes of falling into the grease pit. The witness, as well as police and paramedics, performed CPR on the toddler. Unfortunately, he was pronounced dead at the hospital.
According to the investigator, the grease pit was just steps away from the backside of the shop and the lid covering it was plastic. It is believed the unsecured lid gave way, allowing for the boy to fall in.
The Rochester Democrat & Chronicle states that the size of the grease trap has yet to be determined. The purpose behind a grease trap is to keep fats, oils, and grease out of the sanitary sewer system.
Employees of Tim Horton's were understandably very upset by this horrific accident. A statement from the company was issued to those affected by this unfortunate tragedy:
“What occurred today was a tragedy and on behalf of the Tim Hortons family, we offer our deepest condolences to the family and friends of the young boy who passed away."
Please share your thoughts and prayers for the family as they go through this extremely difficult time.