The Big Surprise Phil Robertson Almost Had -- And What Could Have Happened!

December 20, 2015Dec 20, 2015

The Robertsons had just had a new addition put on their house, and everything was great -- until the power went out. It was super cold outside, so on Christmas Eve Phil decided to start a fire in their brand new fireplace. Seem like a good idea?

As Phil tells in his new book Exploring the Joy of Christmas, everyone went to sleep. Phil woke up a few hours later smelling smoke in the house. He went to look at the new fireplace. Sure enough, there seemed like a red glow from underneath the fireplace. He poured some water from a five gallon jug into the space where the fire was coming from -- and the water started to boil!

Well, the nearest fire department was 30 to 40 minutes or more away, so Phil swung into action. He called a neighbor who brought a chainsaw and a sledgehammer, and Phil got to work! He started hammering out the bricks and discovered that the whole floor beneath the new fireplace was wood -- and was glowing red hot.

Pretty soon the whole house was up, and Miss Kay asked "What are you doing? We just built that fireplace? Phil said, "Trust me, honey. I know what I'm doing. We can always rebuild it." Pretty soon, the kids and Miss Kay were running and bringing five gallon jugs of water. By the time the fire department got there, the fireplace was no longer in place -- and the house was saved!

Life is never dull at the Robertson house!