Texas Teen Takes a Bath with Phone, Tragedy Strikes

July 11, 2017Jul 11, 2017

A 14-year-old Texas native died tragically while taking a bath Sunday at her father’s house in Lovington, New Mexico. She was using her cell phone at the time, according to the New York Daily News

Madison Coe was electrocuted when she plugged in her phone, or grabbed it while it was already charging, her grandmother told a local NBC affiliate KCBD

“There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone,” said grandmother Donna O’Guinn. “And that was just very obvious that that’s what had happened.”

Madison had just graduated from 8th grade at Terra Vista Middle School in Frenship ISD. She was planning on enrolling in a Houston-area high school following her family’s move to the region.

“It is with heavy hearts that Frenship ISD mourns the loss of Madison Coe. We wish to share our heartfelt sympathy with her family and friends as we carry the burden of this tragedy together,” said officials from FISD.

Coe’s family warns that this type of incident could happen to anyone.

“This is such a tragedy that doesn’t need to happen to anyone else,” said O’Guinn. “And we want something good to come out of this as awareness of not using your cell phone in the bathroom as it is plugged in and charging.”

O’Guinn added, “She was very smart, a very good student in school. She just loved life. … I call her my shining star.”

Please pray for Coe’s family during this difficult time.