Teens Face Charges After Suicide of 12-Year-Old Girl

January 24, 2018Jan 24, 2018

Reports are claiming that two twelve-year-olds have been charged with cyberstalking after their classmate, 12-year-old Gabriella Green, committed suicide on January 10. According to People Magazine, police have withheld the suspect' name since they are only minors.

Panama City Beach police announced on Monday that the pre-teens have been arrested in connection with the suicide. 

A 12-year-old attending Surfside Middle School hung herself with a dog leash in a closet at her home in Glades. She did so after receiving harassing messages and video calls, according to police, which encouraged her to take her own life.

After her body was discovered, authorities immediately began an investigation and determined that she had been cyberbullied. 

Authorities analyzed her cell phone and social media accounts and determined that two classmates may have contributed to the suicide. Police then interviewed them, with parental permission, and learned that the children had been engaging in problematic conduct with the girl. In fact, both children confessed to engaging in conduct that resulted in emotional distress for Green. 

Of course, it is difficult to determine what all of the causes were for this death. And suicide, given its very nature, cannot always be explained away by a single cause. As a result, the investigation did not determine that cyberbullying was the sole cause of the suicide, but it did reveal that cyberbullying was occurring — and at very intense levels — during the time of her death. It surely played a significant, if not primary, role in compelling young Green to take her life.

According to News-Herald, the suspect informed investigators that she had began an awful rumor about Green, both in person and online.

According to police, "her actions consisted of starting rumors of the victim having sexually transmitted diseases, vulgar name-calling ... and threats to 'expose' personal and sensitive details of the victim's life."

Another suspect claimed that he video-chatted with Green after she tried to hang herself the first time. It was evident that she had attempted suicide because she had marks on her neck. 

But the second suspect didn't try to talk her out of it. To the contrary, he told her to go ahead and do it. "If you're going to do it, just do it," he said before ending the phone call.

The second suspects claim that he regretted the statement and began to call and text message Green to apologize and claim that he didn't really mean it. But it was too late. He didn't receive a response. 

Green's parents have maintained that it was, first and foremost, cyberbullying that led to the death of their daughter. As a result, they are glad that the arrests were made. The arrests, they say, were "gratifying" after their daughter had to suffer in silence "with a smile on her face." 

Green's mother and father both maintain that a certain amount of blame also rests with the school system, which hasn't been able to stop the ongoing bullying that so many children have to endure.

in their release, police warned against allowing children and teenagers to have unlimited access to social media and the internet. Apparently, several middle-aged school children during their investigation were found to have virtually unlimited and unmonitored access to several social media platforms. 

“These specific cell phone applications have been found to be the root of several dangerous and negative situations, such as cyberbullying, sexting and potential access by online predators,” the release says.

CNN writes that all around the world people are sending love and encouragement to Green's mother. 

"I have teens, children as young as third grade and adults messaging me from all over the world inspired by our girl and her beautiful spirit," Green's mother told CNN.

In recent news, the CEO of Planned Parenthood might announce her resignation next week

Next: Report: Planned Parenthood CEO Might Resign Next WeekJan 24, 2018