Supreme Court Justice Treated by Paramedics After Health Scare

January 19, 2018Jan 19, 2018

Politico has reported that paramedics were called to the Washington home of Justice Sonia Sotomayor on Friday morning. The Obama-appointed Justice apparently was not hospitalized and went to work on Friday after being treated for dangerously low blood sugar. 

Neighbors were concerned after paramedics came to Sotomayor's apartment near Washington's Shaw and Columbia Heights neighborhood, but she ended up okay. 

"She experienced symptoms of low blood sugar at her home this morning," remarked a court spokeswoman, according to Politico. "She was treated by emergency medical services and is doing fine. She's at work and following her usual schedule and will be participating in all planned activities over the weekend." 

According to Politico, Sotomayor was diagnosed as a child with Type 1 diabetes, which she now controls through a combination of synthetic insulin, glucose tablets, and regular checks of her blood. 

Several years ago, the Obama White House released a one-page letter from Sotomayor's longtime doctor attesting to the "tight-control regimen" she practices to keep her sugar level in check. 

While she was still a nominee, numerous colleagues of Sotomayor attested that her diabetes didn't impact her work, although some of her co-workers did notice her testing her blood sugar or giving herself insulin shots during work hours. And according to her coworkers, there have been no serious incidents that have occurred as a result of her health problems.

According to Diabetes Forecast, Sotomayor stores tubes of chalky, sweet tablets everywhere she goes. These tubes can fit into almost any pocket, including her official black robes. 

"I have tubes in my pocketbook. … I have them in my car," she says. "I have them in the office. I have them in my travel bag. I have them on the bench. I have them in the judges' conference room."

Sotomayor has had a remarkable life despite her struggle with diabetes. Her father struggled with alcoholism and died at a very early age. She was then raised by an emotionally distant mother who scrambled to make ends meet as they lived in the Bronx.

Through hard work, she eventually made it to Yale Law School, served as an assistant district attorney in New York, and was eventually nominated by President George H.W. Bush to the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York. In 1992, she eventually became the first Hispanic federal judge in New York. Then she briefly served on the U.S. Court of Appeals before making it to the US Supreme Court. 

In recent news, a restaurant manager was recently arrested after refusing to let a woman use the bathroom

Next: Restaurant Manager Arrested After Refusing to Let Woman Use BathroomJan 19, 2018