Queen Elizabeth II to Miss Parliament Opening Amid ‘Mobility’ Issues

Reversals in the royal role Queen Elizabeth IIHealth concerns mean that they won’t be there for the opening of Parliament. Prince Charles, Camilla Duchess Prince WilliamAssisting in her place.

“The Queen continues to experience episodic mobility problems, and in consultation with her doctors has reluctantly decided that she will not attend the State Opening of Parliament tomorrow,” a statement from Buckingham Palace read on Monday, May 9, per royal reporter Omid Scobie. “At Her Majesty’s request, and with the agreement of the relevant authorities, The Prince of Wales will read The Queen’s speech on Her Majesty’s behalf, with The Duke of Cambridge also in attendance.”

The 96-year old monarch has been attending every opening day since 1952, except 1959 and 1963 when she was pregnant with. Prince Andrew Prince Edward, respectively. The British Parliamentary session officially begins with the event, which typically includes a speech by Queen Elizabeth.

Elizabeth’s absence from the royal engagement follows a series of health scares, including her brief October 2021 hospital stay. At the time, she was being monitored “for some preliminary investigations,” per the palace, and she received plenty of support from her loved ones.

“[Duchess] Kate sent the queen a huge bouquet of flowers from her family,” a source exclusively told Us Weekly last fall. “George, Charlotte and Louis made ‘get well soon’ cards.”

The rest of the royals were “concerned” despite Her Majesty’s insistence that she was “fine and doing well,” the insider added. “She’s not a quitter and will continue working but is handing over some of her duties to Charles and William. [She] is preparing them to take over.”

An additional insider reported that the second insider had noted at the same time that Prince HarryThe couple moved to California with Meghan Markle following their step down from their senior duties, was in “panic mode” after learning of his grandmother’s hospital stay. “He felt helpless being 5,000 miles away in Montecito and has been checking in non-stop with her,” the source told Use.

Elizabeth, who was 73 years old, tested positive for COVID-19 earlier this year. Charles, 74 and the Duchess Cornwall, 74 had also contracted the virus. The queen was also seen carrying a walking stick, which belonged to Prince Philip, to an event in February.

Following her coronavirus fight, Her Royal Highness was able to return to work in March. A source revealed that her recovery was ongoing. Use that Elizabeth felt “extremely thankful” for those who provided her with “emotional and practical support” through it all.

“She’s showed extraordinary courage and is thankful for all the love and support she’s received, and as long as she feels able to work that’s what she’ll continue to [do],” the insider continued. “It’s typical of her selfless character and everyone is just in awe of her resolve and bravery. She’s truly one of a kind and an example to everyone around her.”

Listen to Us Weekly’s Hot Hollywood as the editors of Us break down each week’s top entertainment news stories!