Finally! Prince HarryAnd Meghan Markle released the first photo of their daughter, Lili, to mark the tot’s first birthday.
The Duke of Sussex, 37, with the SuitsThe sweet snap was shared by the 40-year-old alum on Monday, June 6, just days after the milestone was celebrated. A spokesperson stated that the couple hosted a casual picnic at Frogmore Cottage for their youngest son over the weekend as part of the celebrations. Queen Elizabeth II‘s Platinum Jubilee.
The rep said that Misan HarrimanLili was photographed by Lili’s close friend and family, who also went to the party. The soirée also included a special birthday cake baked by Claire Ptak, who created Harry and Meghan’s wedding cake in 2018.
The photograph marks the first time that Lili’s face has been shown since her birth in June 2021. Lilibet, who is named after Princess Diana and her full name, met her great-grandmother, 96 this weekend. The BetterUp CIO and BenchAuthor returned to the U.K. during the Platinum Jubilee celebrations. On Thursday, June 3, he attended Trooping the Colour and Friday, June 4, he attended the Thanksgiving service for Queen Elizabeth II.
Harry and Meghan’s appearance at the celebration of the monarch’s 70 years on the throne comes two months after they made their first joint trip back to the U.K. since stepping back from their senior royal duties. The Invictus Games commemoration visit to the Netherlands saw the pair stop by Windsor Castle to meet the queen.
“Both Meghan and I had tea with her. It was really nice to catch up with her,” Harry said during an interview with Today‘s Hoda Kotb in April, noting that his grandmother was in “great form” when they reunited.
Invictus Games founder Harry talked about his desire to return to the U.K., after he moved to the U.S. with the help of his wife. “Home for me now is, for the time being, is in the States and it feels that way, as well,” Harry added at the time. “We’ve been welcomed with open arms and have such a great community in Santa Barbara, [California].”
Harry and Meghan announced in 2020 that they would be leaving their royal roles. They confirmed their decision one year later and moved to California in advance of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Harry expressed his concerns about bringing his children to England after their departure. During a preliminary hearing at the Royal Courts of Justice earlier this year, the duke’s attorney Shaheed Fatima said his client “does not feel safe” traveling to his home country after losing taxpayer-funded police protection.
“This claim is about the fact that the claimant does not feel safe when he is in the U.K. given the security arrangements that were applied to him in June 2021 and will continue to be applied to him if he decides to come back,” Fatima stated at the hearing in February. “And, of course, it should go without saying that he wants to come back: to see family and friends and to continue to support the charities that are so close to his heart. Most of all, this is, and always will be, his home.”