Parents Share Dire Warning After Their Toddler Gets Stuck in Washing Machine

consumer
July 16, 2018Jul 16, 2018

Two parents from Colorado are urging others to look at child safety settings on their washing machines after they got the scare of their lives.

https://twitter.com/people/status/1018965331753267202

Lindsey and Alan McIver were woken early on the morning of July 10 to the crying of their 4-year-old son.

The couple couldn't understand their son, who was crying uncontrollably. Finally, they were able to make out terrifying words.

“He was crying so hard I couldn't understand the words he was saying,” Lindsey McIver told “Good Morning America.” “It was then that the realization hit. He had said, ‘Khloe inside washer.’”

https://twitter.com/wcho_fm/status/1018882640508801024

They rushed to their basement to find their 3-year-old daughter inside the water-filled washer while it was running.

“I could tell she was screaming, but the machine's airtight,” Alan McIver recalled. “I yanked on the door. I pulled so hard I moved the machine from the wall, but it's locked. You can't get it opened."

The couple, who are parents to three children, was eventually able to stop the washing machine. They pulled little Khloe out of the washing machine; she only have minor scrapes and bruises.

“I pulled her outside of it and got the best hug in the world from her,” said Alan McIver. “She was out and was crying, but safe."

https://twitter.com/MumCentralAU/status/1018754870608683008

Lindsey added in her Facebook post, "After going through all the 'what if‘s' and 'could have’s' we know we are very blessed and God had mercy on our sweet daughter."

They had installed it the day before she climbed in, and they hadn't had time to finish reading the safety manual. Lindsey McIver shared the story on Facebook. The post has more than 230,000 shares and more than 100,000 likes.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100688578446484&set=a.573603188864.2100414.141302599&type=3

"They now have secured the washing machine door with a child safety lock. They also activated the child lock feature on the washing machine’s settings," according to ABC News.

LG, the company that makes the McIvers' washing machine, responded to the story in a statement to ABC News.

"We applaud Ms. McIver for telling her story and share in her efforts to make sure that consumers are aware of the child safety lock feature," the statement read. "We encourage people to use this important safety setting and to contact our customer support team if they need any assistance. LG customer support can be reached 1 (800) 243-0000."

The couple said they hope their story serves as a warning for other parents.

“We really hope all parents out there evaluate the dangers in their house, and look at the situation and where potential dangers exist,” said Alan McIver.

In other news, the FDA recalled a common heart medication after tests revealed it could cause cancer

Next: FDA Recalls Common Heart Medication Due to Contamination with Cancer-Causing IngredientJul 16, 2018