A school district in Charlotte, NC has just adopted a gender curriculum that will (hopefully) offend many parents. Despite the state's quite famous stance against unisex bathrooms, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg School district has embraced this "gender unicorn" which will teach students that there is no set truth about gender or sexuality. Rather, the unicorn will introduce confusion and exploration.
A petition page formed to fight this new teaching exposes some of the new (terrible) guidelines:
1. Parental involvement dependent on student’s permission: “Involvement of parents in the plan is determined in working with the student, considering the student’s age and health, wellbeing and safety concerns” (pg. 34).
2. Students can choose their bathrooms and changing facilities: “Students must have access to the restroom/changing facilities that correspond to their gender identity” (pg. 42).
3. CMS will remove some gender-based activities: “CMS will evaluate all gender-based activities; maintain only those that have clear and sound pedagogical purpose” (pg. 46).
4. Students can choose their gender-based activities (intramural sports, dress codes, classes, ceremonies, photos, extracurricular activities, etc). This includes choosing which gender they participate with during overnight field trips: “Students are permitted to participate in gender-based activities consistent with their gender identity.” (pg. 46).
5. Students can no longer be referred to as “boys and girls” in classrooms, but “scholars” or “students.”: “Avoid gender specific classroom management techniques” (pg. 46).
This is absolutely crazy. As with all things in America, you have to be concerned when it hits one state because (if unchecked), it's sure to spread. As parents, we do not want our kids learning this terribly confusing and destructive teaching--especially at a very young age! Do you feel the same? What would you do if this curriculum came to your school? Let us hear your thoughts, prayers, and ideas in the Comments! Thank you!