Fidget spinners have become the hottest toy around for young children across America. However, the Consumer Product Safety Commission, CPSC, is currently looking into the safety standards of this popular toy after there have been reports of children choking on small pieces after they have come lose.
The toy, which was marketed as a toy to help relieve stress and help people focus, has bearings which could fall out and pose as a choking hazard for children.
"CPSC is investigating the incidents with kids swallowing fidget spinners in Texas and Oregon," According to ABC News. "We advise parents to keep these away from young children because they can choke on small parts. Warn older children not to put fidget spinners in their mouths."
The photo above is an x-ray of a 10-year-old girl from Texas who put the small part in her mouth to 'clean' it and then accidentally swallowed it. Thankfully, doctors were able to remove the part from her esophagus with surgery. Her mom made her daughter's situation public in a Facebook post warning other parents about the possible hazard of these popular gadgets.
The CPSC encourages consumers who have had incidents with fidget spinners to contact the CPSC at www.SaferProducts.gov.
What do you think about this? Does your child have a fidget spinner? Were you surprised to hear about this possible choking hazard?
Let us know your thoughts on this in the comments section of our Facebook page!