Mystery Solved: Police Say Mackenzie was Killed, Burned in Backyard

June 28, 2019Jun 28, 2019

A sad ending has come to the case of Mackenzie Lueck. The young woman was reported missing after failing to return home last week. Now, officials have determined that the person of interest was indeed the man they believe killed her.

“After an exhaustive week of investigation, we are filing charges of aggravated murder, aggravated kidnapping, obstruction of justice and desecration of a body in the homicide of Mackenzie Lueck," Salt Lake City Police Chief Mike Brown told reporters.

The surrounded his home and made the arrest at the property. It was located near the downtown area of Salt Lake City.

Police say he killed Lueck and then tried to dispose of her body, and her belongings, by using fire and gasoline. His neighbors reported to police that he was burning something in his backyard a few days ago.

"The suspect, identified as Ayoola Ajayi, was taken into custody Friday morning after a forensic investigation uncovered charred female human tissue and items belonging to the missing student in the backyard of his home, police said. The arrest came after investigators searched his property earlier this week. Police say neighbors informed detectives that they saw Ajayi burning something with the help of gasoline around the night of June 17, when Lueck last was seen," according to Fox.

Please join us in praying for Mackenzie's family during this tragic time!

More information can be found in the video below:

Original Story Below:

Police have just announced that they have taken a person into custody in connection with the disappearance of Mackenzie Lueck. At this time, the identity of that person has yet to be revealed.

"Police said Friday that a person was arrested earlier in the day in connection to the disappearance of Mackenzie Lueck, the 23-year-old student who was last seen meeting an unknown individual around 3 a.m. on June 17 near a park in Salt Lake City. Authorities did not immediately reveal if the suspect arrested was the owner of a home that police searched this week and dug up holes in its backyard," reported Fox.

The news comes after other reports from a local handyman came in regarding the home police have been searching. According to the local construction worker, he claims the owner made requests for a secret door and a soundproof room with hooks on the walls. The contractor turned down the job and said he felt uncomfortable about the renovation.

The parents of Mackenzie Lueck reported their daughter missing on Thursday afternoon, according to FOX 13. Lueck texted her parents at about 1 a.m. Monday morning from the Salt Lake City International Airport to let them know she arrived from California.

Mackenzie allegedly took a ride from a Lyft driver that she had ordered. The driver took her to a park where she got out, loaded her bags into an unknown car with another individual. It was the last time she has been seen.

"The investigation has not discovered any information that would lead us to believe that Mackenzie has been harmed or is in danger at this time,” police said, adding that “detectives are concerned for Mackenzie’s welfare” and ask anyone with information on her whereabouts to contact Salt Lake City Police at 801-799-3000 and reference case No. 19-111129," according to reports.

Now, more details are coming in about the case. Friends of Lueck's reported seeing activity on her Instagram account yesterday. They immediately contacted the police concerning the news.

Fox News reports Lueck’s friends noticed activity on Lueck’s Instagram account on Wednesday when the account liked a page. The friends took screen captures of the activity and went to police with that information.

Fox News reports the account liked a page called “fatherless”.

At this time, many people are scratching their heads and wondering what happened to Lueck. The activity on the social media account is very strange. It leads some to believe she may still be alive. Others have speculated it could be a false clue by someone who knows the truth about her disappearance.

The break comes after police revealed they are also looking into online dating profiles that Lueck had been active on.

"Salt Lake City Police investigators at their Tuesday afternoon news conference acknowledged they were aware of the online dating leads and are also looking into them," according to reports.

Friends and family have been combing the area looking for the young woman. They have put up fliers and posters and have been trying to raise awareness about her disappearance. Many think it was odd that she would go to a park in the middle of the night to get a ride from someone.

Next: 12 Dead After Rare Bacterial Infection Spreads, Here's How Its SpreadingJun 25, 2019