The nation was shocked to hear on Thursday afternoon that a pedestrian bridge collapsed, leading to the death of several people and trapping several cars underneath. Florida International University was devastated by the collapse of the bridge, which fell down right next to the campus, according to NBC News.
It is now being reported that at least six people are dead as a result of the incident. Engineers and homicide investigators are currently picking through the dangerous scene, searching for possible victims and evidence to point to the cause of the collapse.
One of the first things that the nation learned after yesterday's tragedy was that multiple cars were crushed when the bridge came down.
On Friday, it was announced that personnel had arrived at the site from the FBI, NTSB, and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration. At 10 am, according to NBC News, the victims are currently being removed from the scene in a "dignified manner."
According to CNN, the pedestrian bridge under construction near Florida International University was supposed to enhance safety. It was intended that students and locals would be able to walk and cycle across a busy eight-lane street with less worry about safety. The community wanted to create a safe way to cross the road after a vehicle struck an FIU student last year and killed them.
The current task is figuring out exactly what happened.
"If anybody's done anything wrong, we'll hold them accountable," Florida Gov. Rick Scott said, according to CNN.
On Friday, crews shifted their focus from a rescue mission to the process of digging through rubble to search for more victims. Recovery crews are preparing for the possibility of finding more bodies as they look through remains. Of the six people who have died, five bodies still were under the bridge wreckage on Friday morning.
So far, at least nine people have been taken to the hospital.
“We are shocked and saddened by the tragic events unfolding at the FIU-Sweetwater pedestrian bridge," the university said in a statement. “At this time we are still involved in rescue efforts and gathering information."
Lawmakers are also responding to hearing news of this tragic incident.
Governor Rick Scott, for instance, has claimed that he has spoken to Miami-Dade County Police Chief Juan Perez. The two apparently spoke about the bridge collapse and are remaining in constant communication with law enforcement about the situation.
NBC News reports that Marco Rubio has called the situation "terrible news."
"Terrible news coming from Miami as a pedestrian bridge has collapsed at FIU and multiple deaths are reported," he said. "We will pray for the victims and the entire Panther community."
Watch people's dramatic reactions moments after the bridge collapsed:
In recent news, seven people recently died in a deadly helicopter crash.