Man Dies from Flesh-Eating Bacteria After Consuming Popular Restaurant Food

consumer
July 23, 2018Jul 23, 2018

A Florida man died earlier this month from a flesh-eating bacterium, which he got after eating at a restaurant in Sarasota.

According to PEOPLE, the 71-year-old man died July 10 from vibrio vulnificus after eating raw oysters. The man’s identity has not been released to the public, nor has the name of the restaurant.

People can become infected with vibrio bacteria after consuming raw or undercooked seafood, or from an exposed wound in seawater, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The bacteria naturally inhabit coastal waters where oysters live. Oysters become a carrier for the bacteria since they feed by filtering water, which concentrates the bacteria in their tissues.

For most persons infected with Vibrio, the bacteria usually causes only diarrhea and vomiting, according to the CDC. However, it can cause more severe illnesses. In the case of the man from Florida, it resulted in his death.

Another woman, Jeannette LeBlanc of Quinlan, Texas, was infected with Vibrio on a crabbing trip to Louisiana. She remained in the hospital 21 days and underwent several surgeries as doctors fought to save her life.

“We didn’t really know anything about [vibrio] so we looked it up and we were still on the optimistic side because we didn’t know,” said LeBlanc’s stepdaughter, Jennifer Bergquist. “It progressively got worse. They told us that her legs were getting worse. It was like her skin was dying. It looked like something was eating her skin.”

LeBlanc died on October 15, 2017.

Another man from New Jersey, Angel Perez, 60, contracted vibrio necrotizing fasciitis after a crabbing trip and remains in critical condition at a hospital. He may need his limbs amputated.

Please be aware of the dangers before consuming raw or undercooked seafood. Join the conversation on our Facebook page. In recent news, Troubling new developments have unfolded in the Duck Boat tragedy