Jerry Falwell Jr., president of Liberty University and son of prominent evangelical Jerry Falwell, is coming to the defense of Republican Alabama Senate nominee Roy Moore. On Thursday, The Washington Post published an in-depth story about Moore’s alleged sexual misconduct with a 14-year-old girl in 1979, as well as supposed romantic relationships with three other girls while they were still teens and he was in his 30s.
“It comes down to a question who is more credible in the eyes of the voters—the candidate or the accuser,” Falwell Jr. told the Religious News Service as quoted by The Hill.
“The same thing happened to President Trump a few weeks before his election last year except it was several women making allegations,” he added, referring to the "Access Hollywood" tape of President Trump. “He denied that any of them were true and the American people believed him and elected him the 45th president of the United States."
Falwell adds that Judge Moore has also denied the allegations. Moore issued a statement in response to the article.
“These allegations are completely false and are a desperate political attack by the National Democrat Party and the Washington Post on this campaign,” Moore said in a statement Thursday.
Later he added in an email, “The forces of evil are on the march in our country ... I have a duty to stand up and fight back against the forces of evil waging an all-out war on our conservative values.”
In response to Moore’s statement, Falwell Jr. said, “And I believe the judge is telling the truth.”
Moore is running against Democrat Doug Jones for Attorney General Jeff Sessions' former Senate seat. The special election is set for December 12th, 2017.
“I don’t think this kind of story will change support for him among Christians since he has categorically denied it. Most will see it as dirty politics,” added Falwell Jr.
In the wake of the allegation, prominent Republicans and the White House have said Moore should step aside if the allegations are true.
White House press secretary Sarah Sanders issued a statement, saying "Like most Americans, the President believes we cannot allow a mere allegation, in this case, one from many years ago, to destroy a person's life."
However, she added, “The President also believes that if these allegations are true, Judge Moore will do the right thing and step aside.”
Vice President Mike Pence also issued a similar statement.
"The vice president found the allegations in the story disturbing and believes, if true, this would disqualify anyone from serving in office," said Pence press secretary Alyssa Farah.
Do you believe The Washington Post story or do you agree with Falwell Jr.? Let us know in the comments. In other news, Falwell Jr. hasn't been the only one to defend Moore. The Alabama State Auditor also came forward, but his defense wasn't as reasonable as Falwell's.