When actor Anthony Rapp came forward to accuse Kevin Spacey of sexual advances toward him when he was just 14-years-old, Spacey's leading role in "House of Cards" left the fate of the final season of the show up in the air. Now Netflix, which completely cut ties with Spacey last month, has announced they will be moving forward with a truncated final season.
Spacey, who played Frank Underwood, will not be the lead of the show. Instead, the show will be focused on his co-star, Robin Wright, who played Underwood's wife.
When Spacey was accused, he issued a statement claiming he did not recall the incident, but he apologized for what he said would have been "deeply inappropriate drunken behavior." Subsequently, he was accused by several other people including people from the set of the show.
The show will continue with one eight-episode season instead of a thirteen-episode season. The show had already begun filming when the allegations came out. The scenes already filmed with Spacey were scrapped. Production will resume in early 2018, the source told CNN.
When Netflix denounced Spacey in November, they said the company "not be involved with any further production of 'House of Cards' that includes Kevin Spacey."
Spacey was also replaced by Christopher Plummer in Ridley Scott’s drama "All the Money in the World." That required the cast and crew to go into last-minute reshoots before the film’s release on 22 December.
Addressing "House of Cards," Netflix drama CEO Ted Sarandos said during a conference on Monday, "We are excited to bring closure to fans."
Netflix is projected to spend between seven and eight billion on original content in 2018.
“We’ve been careful to not become a one-brand network.” Said Sarandos. “The way to do that is having a lot of variety, and executing in multiple genres at a high level.”