On Tuesday, CNN announced that they're suing the Trump Administration. The legal suit comes after the White House rescinded Jim Acosta's press credentials after he got out of hand during a press conference President Trump held.
They demanded that the administration give Acosta, who rudely spoke over the president and manhandled a White House intern who was trying to take the microphone away from him, his press credentials back. Acosta is CNN's chief White House correspondent.
In the suit, CNN accuses Trump and other administration officials of "violating Acosta's First and Fifth Amendment rights of free speech and due process, respectively, and asks a federal court in Washington to grant the 'immediate restoration of Acosta’s press credentials,'" explained The Hill.
"While the suit is specific to CNN and Acosta, this could have happened to anyone," the cable network said in a statement. "If left unchallenged, the actions of the White House would create a dangerous chilling effect for any journalist who covers our elected officials."
Now, Fox News, which generally supports President Trump and speaks highly of him, has made a surprising decision. The network announced they are standing behind CNN's lawsuit.
"Fox News supports CNN in its legal effort to regain its White House reporter's press credential," the news channel's president Jay Wallace said in a statement.
They continued, "We intend to file an amicus brief with the US District Court. Secret Service passes for working White House journalists should never be weaponized. While we don't condone the growing antagonistic tone by both the president and the press at recent media avails, we do support a free press, access and open exchanges for the American people."
They are just one of the news agencies standing behind CNN. Several others also submitted statements to the court.
Yesterday, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, who has frequently been the target of Acosta and CNN's attacks, issued a strong response after the news broken. Sanders called the legal action "just more grandstanding from CNN."
She also made it clear that the administration will not be bowing to CNN's pressure. She promised that the administration "will vigorously defend against this lawsuit."
"CNN, who has nearly 50 additional hard pass holders, and Mr. Acosta is no more or less special than any other media outlet or reporter with respect to the First Amendment," Sanders said in a statement.
In addition to the president, Sanders is also named in the suit. Last week, she accused Acosta of "placing his hands on a young woman." She shared a video that showed the altercation during the press conference.
"The White House cannot run an orderly and fair press conference when a reporter acts this way, which is neither appropriate nor professional," Sanders said. "The First Amendment is not served when a single reporter, of more than 150 present, attempts to monopolize the floor. If there is no check on this type of behavior it impedes the ability of the president, the White House staff, and members of the media to conduct business."