Dogs and bones go together in a person’s mind like macaroni and cheese. It’s something we just associate with dogs, but the FDA has a concerning warning for dog owners.
The FDA recently released a report, advising dog owners to forego bone treats. They said they have received about 68 reports of pet illnesses related to bone treats.
Those illnesses included 15 that ended in pet death. The FDA received also seven reports of product problems, such as moldy-appearing bones, or bone treats splintering when chewed by the pet.
Bone treats are defined as bones processed and packaged for sale as dog treats. A variety of commercially-available bone treats for dogs—including treats described as “Ham Bones,” “Pork Femur Bones,” “Rib Bones,” and “Smokey Knuckle Bones”—were listed in the reports.
“The products may be dried through a smoking process or by baking, and may contain other ingredients such as preservatives, seasonings, and smoke flavorings,” added the FDA.
Illnesses caused by the bone treats varied in severity, but none of them are fun. They included: Gastrointestinal obstruction (blockage in the digestive tract), choking, cuts and wounds in the mouth or on the tonsils, vomiting, diarrhea, bleeding from the rectum, and/or
FDA says if you’re planning on getting your canine best friend a bone treat for Christmas, then maybe you should rethink it.
According to Carmela Stamper, a veterinarian in the Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) at the FDA, “Giving your dog a bone treat might lead to an unexpected trip to your veterinarian, a possible emergency surgery, or even death for your pet.”