Father of Missing 3-Year-Old Changes Story, Now Charged with First-Degree Felony

October 24, 2017Oct 24, 2017

In the beginning of October, an Amber Alert was issued for 3-year-old Sherin Mathews. The young girl went missing at around 3 a.m. on Saturday, October 7 near her Texas home. 

Sherin's father, 37-year-old Wesley Mathews, had reportedly sent the toddler outside after she refused to drink her milk. According to the police, Mathews had forced the young girl to stand next to a large tree in their backyard. He admitted that he knew that there were coyotes in a nearby alley. When he went out to check on Sherin 15 minutes later, he said that she had disappeared.

Rather than immediately contacting police, Mathews waited several hours before beginning a search. Records show that he did not file a police report until after 8 a.m.

Over the last three weeks, police have been searching for the young girl. Yesterday, they found a body that matched her description. The young child's body was found about a mile away from the Mathews' house. 

When the incident first took place, Wesley Mathews was taken into custody for child endangerment. He was released the next day on bail. Now, Mathews has changed his original story. 

On Monday, Sherin's father reportedly went to the Richardson Police Department with his lawyer and asked to speak to detectives. 

Police said, "He provided an alternate statement of events from those which he had given previously, regarding the disappearance of Sherin."

Mathews told police that the 3-year-old had actually choked and died while he was attempting to get her to drink the milk. 

The affidavit stated, "Wesley Mathews said she wouldn’t listen to him. Eventually, the 3-year-old girl began to drink her milk. Wesley Mathews then physically assisted the 3-year-old girl in drinking the milk."

Mathews admitted that he knew the toddler had died and removed her body from the home. Following the admission, Mathews was taken into custody for injury to a child, a first-degree felony. 

When the medical examiner's report is released about the child's body, Richardson authorities will determine the next appropriate action step. 

Please continue praying about this sad situation. Another child was taken from the Mathews' home into safety, please pray for that 4-year-old as well. In other breaking news, 150 products were recalled from Walmart, Trader Joe's, after warnings of extreme illness.

Next: Walmart, Trader Joe's Recall 150 Products Across US, Warn of Extreme Illness Oct 20, 2017