Dozens of People Suffer Sickness Due to Death-Causing Parasite, Recall Issued

June 18, 2018Jun 18, 2018

Del Monte has issued a recall for some of its products after 78 people fell ill from a parasite that could potentially lead to death.

The Food and Drug Administration confirmed that 6-ounce and 12-ounce trays of broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, celery and dip contained the parasite cyclospora. People in Iowa, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin who bought the trays were affected.

According to Newsweek, cyclospora cayetanensis is a parasite that a person gets when he or she ingests contaminated food or water. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention states that it generally takes about one week for a person to experience symptoms.

The symptoms include nausea, watery or explosive diarrhea, as well as a loss of appetite, weight loss, and bloating. In addition, vomiting and flu-like symptoms such as headaches and fever can also occur.

The parasite can be treated with antibiotics. It is also treatable by consuming ample amounts of water. If left untreated, the symptoms can last between a few days to months, or even longer.

The contaminated trays were marked with a “best if enjoyed by or before” of June 17 or earlier. They were stocked in Kwik Trip, Kwik Star, Demond’s, Sentry, Potash, Meehan’s, Country Market, FoodMax Supermarket and Peapod sores.

Del Monte recalled the 6oz and 12oz vegetable trays on June 8, but because the products expire on June 17, the company warned that customers may still have them in their refrigerators. The product was also recalled from stores in Illinois and Indiana.

So far, the specific ingredient carrying the parasite has not yet been identified. The FDA is investigating the distribution and related supplier information.

Consumers who have purchased the product should throw them out immediately, the FDA recommends. If anyone experiences diarrhea for more than three days should contact their healthcare provider.

Earlier this year, 89 people were hospitalized and five died after people consumed romaine lettuce that was infected with E.coli. 

Please check your refrigerator to make sure you do not have the contaminated vegetable trays, and discard immediately if so. Be sure to read about Joanna Gaines’ adorable Father’s Day post that has put fans in awe. 

Next: Joanna Gaines' Father's Day Post for Her Husband is Absolutely Adorable, Fans in AweJun 17, 2018