On Monday, news that John Cena and Nikki Bella were breaking up just three weeks before their May 5 wedding, scheduled to be held in Mexico. Now, details have emerged explaining the reason behind the called-off engagement.
Cena, 40, proposed to Bella before a live audience during WrestleMania 32 last year, and on March 23 during a press conference, he explained why he had chosen to propose.
"When a man finds the woman of his dreams and wants to say that he loves her and for the world to know," Cena said before calling up his then-fiancée. "Nicole, want to come up here for a second please?"
Cena hugged Bella and told her before a packed crowd that she meant “everything” to him. And later, in an interview with Fox News in August, Bella said that he felt comfortable calling her his “bride.”
"The only thing that's changed [since the proposal] is he'll text me now saying like, 'I'll miss my bride.' So now he's using the term bride and fiancée which I love," she said during the interview.
But following the breakup, Fox News reported that the reason for it was because Cena got cold feet.
"He talked a really good game about having changed, about having his priorities straight, about knowing what’s important and that it was her,” a source told People magazine.
“But as the day got closer, it was like he just went back to who he’s always been — which is someone who puts himself first, always," the source said.
"He’s an incredibly dedicated, driven, ambitious guy. And for the longest time he said he didn’t think he had room in his life for a spouse or kids. It seems like in the end that was still the truth."
Bella is "heartbroken,” the source added.
What do you think of this? Share your thoughts on our Facebook page. Be sure to read further about the details surrounding the Cena-Bella breakup.