Death By Exploding Whip Cream?

consumer
June 22, 2017Jun 22, 2017

Just in case you purchased a whip cream dispenser from a French company, you should know they can kill. 

In a freak accident, French fitness blogger Rebecca Burger died after being a faulty whip cream dispenser "exploded and struck Rebecca's chest, causing her death,” says a statement on her Instagram. She died of cardiac arrest shortly afterwards.

Burger was well-known within France, where she has 55 thousand Facebook fans and 154,000 Instagram followers. She was employed as a model by Woman’s Best, a health and wellness brand. They mourned her loss in an Instagram post,

“We are sorry to announce the sad news of losing this beautiful soul. Our french athlete Rebecca Burger passed away... Rebecca was not only a great fitness figure but a generous and kind person to work with. Please pray for her soul to rest in peace and for her family to stay strong. We will always be proud of you Rebecca." 

Burger's family also posted a warning about the the whipped cream dispenser, which works by injecting gas into a metal container to create high pressure. The one that causes Rebecca's death was only one of thousands of defective devices.

“One French consumer group has warned readers for years about faulty connectors on the gas capsules, causing them to break and expel at high speed,” reports BBC News. 

Consumer groups have been warning against the dispenser for years. Several injuries have resulted from its use, including broken teeth, tinnitus, multiple fractures and even the loss of an eye.

BBC News relates that in 2013, another victim of an exploding cream dispenser told RTL radio: "At the hospital, I was told that if the shock and blast had been facing the heart, I would be dead now."

That’s just what happened to Rebecca Burger.

The government office for consumers in France has since released a warning about the dispensers. They said, “The accidents stretch back as far as 2010, and can occur at any time - even after years of use,” says BBC News. At this time, one of the manufacturer has issued a product recall, but a year later, they have only had consumers return 25,000 of the 160,000 sold.