Food recalls have been sweeping the nation recently. Now, a major recall has just been placed on frozen chicken that was sold at many stores, including Costco and Trader Joe's.
"Last week, the U.S. Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service (USDA FSIS), along with Empire Kosher Poultry, Inc., issued a public health alert warning consumers about possible Salmonella contamination in raw, kosher chicken products. Empire’s products that may be affected include raw whole chickens and raw chicken parts that were sold to consumers between September 2017 and June 2018," reported Food Safe Magazine.
Sadly, there has been some horrible news reported about the recall. At this time, 17 people have been made ill and one person has actually died.
"Empire Kosher brand raw, kosher chicken products are related to this cluster of illnesses. The samples collected by USDA FSIS at the slaughter and processing establishments were part of USDA FSIS’ routine testing under the Salmonella performance standards. Whole-genome sequencing showed that the Salmonella strain from these samples is closely related genetically to the Salmonella strain from ill people," according to reports.
The company has just issued a new statement that says they believe more infected chickens are currently being stored in the freezers of their customers. They are asking everyone who buys frozen chicken to please check their freezer and to not eat their product.
"Thus far, epidemiological information confirms 17 illnesses in four states--New York, Maryland, Pennsylvania and Virginia. Many of the victims reported that they had consumed Empire Kosher brand chicken products. One death in relation to this outbreak has been reported in New York," according to reports.
Please join us in praying for those infected by the contaminated food. We also pray for peace to be with their families through this awful time.
What do you think about this? Let us know! Also, be sure to read our trending story about a trendy new food that has just been recalled. Many parents are unaware of the potential danger it can cause their children.