Mom Issues Warning After Son's Sippy Cup Explodes, Sends Her to Hospital with Dangerous Injuries

consumer
January 15, 2019Jan 15, 2019

A mom from Idaho wants to warn other parents against a dangerous sippy cup. She received serious injuries after the cup exploded.

Boise mom Dzevada Becirovic was pouring milk into her son's sippy cup when something frightening happened. Becirovic says a Nuby insulated light-up cup exploded after she poured milk into it.

She had to go to the hospital for serious injuries after. However, she told KTVB that she feels lucky it was her that was next to the cup and not her one-and-a-half-year-old son.

“There's the bottom of it where the battery blew around here. It’s a lithium ion battery, and it blew up through here," Becirovic said, showing KTVB the exploded cup.

The explosion shot milk and the inside of the battery-powered cup up. It burned her hand, face, and stung her lungs.

“It was super scary. I immediately couldn't breathe - my lungs were on fire, my throat, I couldn’t stop coughing,” she added.

Becirovic had a friend come over to watch her kids while she rushed to the hospital.

“It did a lot of damage and what that would have done in his hands, I don't even want to imagine. I really don't,” she said. "I'm scared to death of something like this happening again with another product or another toy or happening to somebody else."

Luckily, her son Kaysen was on the couch when she went to pour him some milk.

“I was just standing right here, I grabbed milk out of the fridge – just regular milk, I went and poured it. Turned around to put the milk back, I turned around to grab the lid and I was about to put it on it and it blew,” Becirovic said.

She had only had the light-up Nuby sippy cup for a week when it exploded. She also said she never put it in the microwave or the dishwasher.

“I was actually thinking about going and buying another one. He loved them. They light up, they definitely look kid-friendly," she said. "They've got a cute design on there."

She continued, "We do our best to protect our kids every day but something like that is just a freak accident or it could be something that's preventable by not having such a powerful battery in a little kid's cup,” Becirovic said.

Nuby’s parent company Luv n' care, Ltd. says they're investigating the accident. The asked Becirovic to send the burned cup in so they can figure out what happened. They say all their cups are thoroughly tested and inspected before hitting shelves, and this cup was deemed safe if "properly used". Luv n' care also said this is the first complaint they've received about the light-up cups.

Becirovic, who has three children, wants the cups taken out of stores. In the meantime, she's warning other parents not to buy it.

“Obviously they missed something,” Becirovic said. “I just want to get the word out there, in case somebody has it, to just throw it away and get it away from your kids' reach before it hurts them.”

Due to whatever she inhaled, Becirovic says she did breathing treatments at St. Luke's and the doctor put her on medication to relax her throat. She saw a doctor again on Monday and had to undergo another breathing treatment.

Next: Beloved News Anchor Found Dead in LA Hotel, Leaves Behind Wife and 9 Yr-Old DaughterDec 28, 2018