Us Weekly is an affiliate partner, so we may get compensation for certain links to products and/or services.
If you’ve tried primers before but decided they either didn’t do anything for you or made your makeup pill or flake, we want to introduce you to the best primers for dry skin. Like with your skincare, it’s so important to use a primer suited to your skin type!
If your skin’s dry, avoid anything focused on matte finishes and shine control, and try to skip anything pumped full of alcohol. You’ll want to aim for products that promise dewy, plump results instead — perhaps even featuring hydrating ingredients!
How we discovered the best primers to dry skin
First, we looked for anything specifically labeled for dry skin, or with those magic words like “plumping” and “dewy” on the bottle. We also looked at the ingredient lists to find moisturizing favorites such as glycerin and hyaluronic acids. We also liked to see water-based primers, since they’re often alcohol-free, as well as thicker textures for extra-dry skin. We were on the lookout for anything that was a serum/primer or moisturizer-primer hybrid as well, knowing it’d have a heavy skincare focus!
Of course, we also took our own experience into account with different brands, as well as reviewers’ experiences and ratings. A beauty brand can claim many things, but we’re always wary to try something without approval from our peers!
11 of the Best Primers For Dry Skin
1. Glossier Priming Moisturizer Rich
Heavy Duty Hydration
If your face is in need of some serious moisture, this Rich version of Glossier’s famous Priming Moisturizer is the way to go. It contains ceramides, fatty acids and shea and murumuru butters to majorly reinforce your skin’s natural moisture barrier while helping to soothe redness and create an even base for makeup application!
- More than 1,000 reviews
- Olivia Rodrigo Recently, we have partnered up with the company
- Hot weather: Could be a bit heavy
Available at: Glossier
2. Charlotte Tilbury Wonderglow Primer for the Face
For a “Goddess-Worthy” Complexion
This primer is all about “dewy” and “radiant” skin, so we knew it would be a great choice. Charlotte Tilbury is our go-to! This primer contains ingredients like hyaluronic acid, camellia oil and wild pansy extract to keep skin plump, and it claims to deliver a “soft-focus” effect for a natural glow!
- 100% of participants agreed that skin looked radiant and dewy in a clinical study.
- You can moisturize for up 24 hours
Available at: Charlotte Tilbury, Sephora, Nordstrom
3. Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Niacinamide Drops
For a Glass Skin Gloss
This multi-purpose product was dropped a few years back, but its popularity is soaring lately because of content creators on TikTok (and Instagram). It has hyaluronic and real watermelon extract, as well as brightening Niacinamide, for a healthy, high shine finish.
- Also can be used as a highlighting spray or mixed with foundation
- No mica, no glitter, and no gray cast
- Features fragrance could deter some shoppers
Available at: Sephora
4. Elemis Superfood Glow Priming Moisturizer
If we’ve learned anything about skincare, it’s that if an ingredient makes you do a double-take, it’s probably awesome for your skin. This priming moisturizer has unexpected infusions of kombucha black and fermented ginger that even out the skin, while green tea seed oil softens the skin and hydrates!
- Contains illuminating minerals
- One of the most expensive options
Available at: Dermstore, Ulta, Amazon, Nordstrom
5. Honest Beauty Everything Primer Glow + 2HA
A Clean Beauty Favorite
We love it when primers are available in multiple versions for different skin types. Jessica Alba‘s company, Honest Beauty, did just that, and this Glow primer obviously stood out as our pick. It includes two types hyaluronic Acid in its formula. This primer has been dermatologist tested and is EWG certified!
- Dermatologist-tested, non-comedogenic
- 100% tree-free paper carton
Available at: Amazon. Target. Ulta
6. NYX Plump Right back Electrolytes Plumping Primer Sorum
NYX actually makes a nice handful of hydrating primers for dry skin, but we narrowed it down to this electrolyte-infused primer serum because it’s just too cool. You know how you drink something with electrolytes when you’re dehydrated? It’s the same idea here. This serum also contains pro-vitamin B5, vitamin E, hyaluronic acids, and potassium.
- This is a more affordable option
- Available in multiple sizes
- Some shoppers might be dissuaded by the fragrance.
Available at: Target, Ulta, Amazon, Walmart
7. Wander Beauty Pack Up & Glow Priming SPF
Powered with SPF Protection
An SPF primer can make it easier to remember your sunscreen if you are prone to forgetting it. This SPF40 mineral sunscreen is a great choice for sensitive skin. It gives you a satin finish, and has plant-derived Squalene and Hyaluronic Acid for a plump glow. It’s alcohol-free and claims to prevent photoaging and moisture loss too!
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Antioxidants rich
- In colder temperatures, satin finish may not work as well for extremely dry skin types.
Available at: Amazon, Revolve
8. Wet N Wild Photo Focus dewy Face Primer, Till Prime Decw Us Part
Our Most Affordable Choice
Whether you’re new to primers or are simply looking to spend less, let UseThis Wet N Wild favorite will be a great choice. It has so many positive ratings, and it’s infused with vitamin E to smooth and soften your skin, leaving a dewy finish. This pick is vegan, cruelty-free, gluten-free. It’s also paraben-free, fragrance-free, and vegan.
- Below $10
- Infused with pearl pigments
- Formula may seem a little complicated for more advanced beauty enthusiasts
Available at: Amazon, Walmart
9. Fenty Beauty by Rihanna Pro Filt’r Hydrating Primer
For the silkiest skin
This Fenty primer is ideal for dry skin. It’s lightweight but has a “silky-smooth” formula that claims to instantly hydrate and eliminate dry patches. This primer also contains blue agave extract, which is known to contain “anti-inflammatory and immune system-boosting properties” and keep skin moisturized! (Face the Vibes)
- No parabens and phthalates
- It has been praised by many for how hydrated and softened their skin after they have used it.
- You may not be able to use it all over if you have combination skin.
Available at: Ulta, Sephora
10. Pacifica Vegan Collagen Skin Solve Primer
This product claims it can prime, blur, and hydrate all at the same time. Vegan collagen is also included in its formula for silky smooth skin. It’s also infused with hyaluronic acid, amino acids, jasmine extract, orange extract and caffeine!
- 100% glass bottle
- No talc, parabens or phthalates
- Some customers think it smells a little like a cleaning product.
Available at Target, Amazon
11. KjaerWeis The Beautiful Primer
If you’re looking for another lavish option, look no further than Kjaer Weis’ The Beautiful Primer. It’s a luminizing, hydrating primer made with soothing lavender water, moisturizing olive oil and firming Spilanthes acmella flower extract. This primer can be worn even without makeup.
- Organic certified
- Long-term potential benefits also
- It’s recommended that you let it absorb for five to seven minutes before applying makeup
Available at: KjaerWeis, Nordstrom
Other Primers We Love For Dry Skin
Are you looking for more product suggestions? You can also check out our other favorite products below.
This post is brought to you by Us Weekly’s Shop With Us team. The Shop With Us team strives to highlight products that readers might find useful or interesting. This includes face masks, self-tanners and Lululemon-style leggings. The selection of products and services is not meant to be an endorsement by Us Weekly or any celebrity mentioned in this post.
Shop With Us may be offered products to try out by manufacturers. Us Weekly also receives compensation from the manufacturer for products featured in our articles. This does NOT influence our decision to recommend or not recommend a product or service. Shop With Us is independent from the advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback at ShopWithUs@usmagazine.com. Have a great shopping experience!