Us Weekly has affiliate relationships so that we may be compensated for links to products or services.
How do you create the wardrobe of your dreams It’s one thing to pick out pieces with pretty patterns and colors, but to really cement yourself as a style icon in your community, dressing for your body shape is key. Today, we’re going to concentrate on apple shapes.
Having an apple-shaped (or round) body usually means “your shoulders, bust, waist and hips are fairly uniform — but your shoulders and hips may be slightly narrower,” and you likely have a larger bust and a somewhat undefined waistline (Trunk Club). This means you’ll want to focus on dresses that balance things out and create a more defined waistline. Below are our top picks and what styles you should look for.
Wrap and Wrap-Style dresses
1. Our absolute favorite: This ZESICA dress is a mega-hit on Amazon, and it’s no mystery as to why. Wrap dresses look great on every body and everyone, and this one will make you feel your best!
2. We also love: This plus size Ava & Viv true wrap dress from Target is so chic and versatile, reviewers are saying, “Don’t hesitate…just buy!”
3. We Can’t Forget: If you didn’t believe mini dresses could complement apple shapes, this Cosonsen dress is so ready to prove you wrong. It’s just the cutest, most sophisticated thing ever!
4. Bonus: This Vintagton wrap dress is perfect for weddings. The ruffled surplice skirt flatters the body even more!
5. Our absolute favorite: A cutout at the upper waist can make it look more balanced and trick the eye. This Actloe mini dress is nice and stretchy and comes in both solids and prints!
6. We also love: This Wild Fable dress from Target takes the cutout to the side and adds on a bit of ruching so you can turn heads every time you wear it!
7. We Can’t Forget: So elegant! This one-shoulder Pink Queen dress has star quality written all over it, and it’s so ready to join up with yours!
8. Bonus: This Shona Joy dress from Nordstrom opts for an extra-high cutout just under the bust, letting the smooth satin drape underneath it to create the date night dress of your dreams!
Empire Waist Dresses
9. Our absolute favorite: Empire waist dresses are making a comeback in recent years. They visually elevate the waistline while elongating the legs. This Amazon Essentials maxi dress nails the style while keeping things comfy!
10. We also love: Romantic summer dress coming your way! This flowy Lulus mini dress boasts a beautiful blue floral on a white backdrop!
11. We Can’t Forget: This Casei dress is a ruffled beauty. The waistline smocking will define and lengthen your waistline.
12. Bonus: This plus size Sandra Darren dress from Target features fluttery straps — one of our absolute favorite accents on summer pieces right now!
13. Another: We just couldn’t leave out this Lulus bodycon midi dress. Anything this gorgeous belongs on our wish list!
14. Our absolute favorite: A dress is considered bias-cut if the fabric is cut at an angle. This creates a drapey, non-clingy dress with some stretch. This gorgeous, leaf-print Lulus gown demonstrates this amazing effect.
15. We also love: This red-hot Bardot dress from Revolve would make a best-dressed list on any red carpet, but you can always create your own events just for the sake of wearing it!
16. We Can’t Forget: Another stunner! This bold, blue ASOS Design dress earns extra points for having the cutout effects too. Available at Nordstrom
17. Bonus: Have you ever seen a dress drape so gracefully? This Jonathan Simkhai slip dress from Saks Fifth Avenue is going to create memorable moment after memorable moment for you!
Are you looking for something different? Check out our other product selections!
This post is brought to you by Us Weekly’s Shop With Us team. The Shop With Us team strives to highlight products that readers might find useful or interesting. This includes face masks, self-tanners and Lululemon-style leggings. The selection of products and services is not meant to be an endorsement by Us Weekly or any celebrity mentioned in this post.
Shop With Us may be offered products to try out by manufacturers. Us Weekly may also be compensated by the manufacturer of the products we feature in our articles. This does not influence our decision on whether or not a product is recommended or featured. Shop With Us is independent from the advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback at ShopWithUs@usmagazine.com. Have a great shopping experience!