The film industry has lost a wonderful woman and an award-winning talent. According to reports, English-born film editor Anne V. Coates, who won an Academy Award for cutting David Lean’s classic “Lawrence of Arabia,” has died.
Coates was 92-years-old at the time of his passing. She died Tuesday in Woodland Hills, California.
"Coates died on Tuesday in Woodland Hills, Calif. BAFTA tweeted the news of her death, writing, 'We’re so sad to learn that British film editor Anne V. Coates has died. During her incredible career, Anne was BAFTA-nominated four times for work including ‘The Elephant Man’ and ‘Erin Brockovich,’ and received the BAFTA Fellowship in 2007. She will be greatly missed,'" according to Variety.
During her long and successful career, Coates won an Oscar and was nominated for four other Academy Awards. Her other credits include “Young Cassidy” (1965), “The Bofors Gun” (1968), “The Public Eye” (1972), “Murder on the Orient Express” (1974), “What About Bob?” (1991), “Chaplin” (1992), “Congo” (1995), “Striptease” (1996) and Soderbergh’s “Erin Brockovich” (2000).
She was a renowned editor in the industry. In an interview, Coates once revealed that she didn't initially want to be an editor, she wanted to be a director. However, she later learned that she enjoyed editing more.
“One of the reasons I chose to go into the editing room,” she told TCM, “was that I wanted to become a director, and that seemed the best place to learn. Later on I had several chances to direct, including an agent who wanted to promote me, but by that time I was married to a director and had three children, so I thought it was too difficult to give quality time to two such demanding lives," she said.
Coates was married to director and assistant director Douglas Hickox. He passed away in 1988. She is survived by her three children, actor, writer and director Anthony Hickox; film editor Emma E. Hickox; and director and editor James D.R. Hickox.
What do you think about this? Let us know! Also, be sure to read our product recall about the popular summertime food that is being linked to potential paralysis and death.