Amber Alert Issued for 3-Year-Old Who Was Abandoned in Coyote Infested Alley

October 09, 2017Oct 09, 2017

Update 4 p.m. ET 10/10:

Police are still investigating this case, but are finding out more details that are "certainly concerning" to them. The girl's father reportedly took 5 hours before notifying authorities of his daughter's disappearance. Additionally, the alley that the girl was abandoned near is also very close to railroad tracks. 

Since the incident, police have confiscated three cars, cellphones, and laptops from the family to find out more information. The Texas State Child Protective Services said that the family has had previous dealings with them. On Monday morning, they removed another 4-year-old child from the family's care. 

Sherin, the missing toddler, was adopted. Her father said that it was unusual for her to wake up in the middle of the night. So far, police have no other "indication or evidence that she was forcibly abducted from that area." 

Original Content 10/9:

Over the weekend, an Amber Alert was issued for a 3-year-old girl who went missing in Texas. Sherin Mathews was last seen near an alley at around 3 a.m. on Saturday.

Sherin's father, 37-year-old Wesley Mathews, sent her outside after she refused to drink her milk. Police reported that there had been coyotes previously seen in the nearby alley. 

When Mathews admitted to what he had done, he told police that he forced the young girl to stand next to a large tree behind the fence of their backyard. He said that he knew that coyotes had been seen in the alley near Sunningdale Drive.

Sherin's father said that he went to check on her about 15 minutes after he left. By that point, she had disappeared.

Rather than immediately contacting police, he waited several hours before alerting investigators about her disappearance. He did not file a missing-person report until after 8 a.m.

The spokesman for the Richardson Police Department, Kevin Perlich, commented on the situation. He told NBC5 about what they know so far. 

Perlich said, "Why was the last sighting at 3 o'clock and the parents not call us until after 8 a.m., that's the question we want answered as well. As far as why she was out there, how long she was out there, that's the questions we have for the parents."

The search is still active for the 3-year-old girl. She is described as 3 feet tall and 22 pounds with black hair and brown eyes. She was last seen wearing a pink shirt, black pajama bottoms, and pink flip-flops. 

Police reported that Sherin has "developmental issues and has limited verbal communication skills."

After the young girl was reported missing, police towed three cars from her family's home to search for potential evidence. Additionally, several members of the local church that the Mathews reportedly attended searched around their backyard for any clues. 

Churchgoer Jose Cherian said, "I very much grieve. I was crying literally when I heard this." Cherian said that the Sherin is already a beloved member of their congregation. 

Cherian said, "She's very smart and she's a very [good] learner and she's very active in the church even though she's just three-years-old."

Wesley Mathews was arrested and charged with abandoning and endangering the toddler. No other information has been given so far about the situation.

Police ask that if anyone has information to call the Richardson Police Department at 972-744-4800. We will continue to update on the situation as more information is revealed. 

Please be praying for the safety of this young girl. Share this on Facebook to get the word out. For more breaking news, read our latest article about the shocking announcement that NFL's Roger Goodell just made. 

Next: NFL’s Roger Goodell Shocks Sports World With Bombshell AnnouncementOct 10, 2017