Active Shooter Reported in New Hampshire

September 12, 2017Sep 12, 2017
Updated September 13 2017 7:28am ET

On September 12th, police reacted to reports of an active shooter at New Hampshire's largest hospital in Lebanon. 

AP reports that the police told them they were looking into the reports at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center.  A spokesman for the hospital, Mike Barwell, would not give AP any details when contacted. He only said they have reported “an incident” to police and that officers are responding.

A local news network reported that the hospital has been evacuated. Those who couldn't leave the hospital were placed under lockdown. 

At 3:20 ET, Reuters announced that a man had been taken into custody in relation to the shooting. There was no confirmation that shots had been fired at the hospital.

On Twitter, the nearby Dartmouth College shared that the police were searching for a 6'1" tall man with salt and pepper blonde hair who was wearing a red camouflage shirt. That man was taken into custody.

Later that evening, police released the cause of the shoot. A Rhode Island man visited the hospital to shoot his mother. No one else was injured in the shooting. 

"Authorities said Travis Frink, 49, of Warwick, Rhode Island, is expected to be arraigned Wednesday on first-degree murder charges in Grafton Superior Court for the shooting just before 1:30 p.m. Tuesday at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon," reported NBC News.

They also identified his victim as Frink's 70-year-old mother, Pamela Ferriere, of Groton, New Hampshire. Drink signed into the visitors center just after 1 p.m. before going to the ICU. Approximately 20 minutes later, police received reports of shots from the unit.

"The facts gathered to this point reveal that the purpose of Mr. Frink's visit to the hospital today was to kill his mother," the Attorney General, Gordon MacDonald, told NBC. "No other patients, visitors or staff were physical injured as a result of the incident today." 

The above description helped detain Frink as he tried to leave Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center. No motive for killing his mother, who was already in the ICU, has currently been released.