Us Weekly is an affiliate partner, so we may get compensation for certain links to products and/or services.
Cats can get stressed like humans. Some cats become anxious when their owners are away for long periods of time. Some pets feel uncomfortable around new people. Stress can also be caused by changes in their lives such as moving, adopting a pet, or sharing a home with someone new. These situations may be helped by cat treats.
If your cat is stressed, you might notice behavioral changes. You might notice your cat start to hide, become less friendly with people, hiss excessively, scratch furniture or change their eating habits. It’s likely heartbreaking to see your cat distressed, but you might be able to help them find some relief with CBD treats.
CBD has gained popularity as a homeopathic remedy to treat various ailments like stress, sleep problems, joint pain, and skin irritation. Seeing how much it’s helped humans, many companies expanded their CBD products into pet-friendly lines so your anxious cat can experience the calming benefits of CBD.
To help you sift through the hundreds of calming CBD cat products, we’ve compiled a list of our favorite healthy cat treats:
Are you unsure which CBD cat product is best for your feline friend. We’ve put together a list of our top five calming CBD products to help you find the right match for your cat.
1. Best Calming Cat Treats Overall – CBD is all you need
JustPets Cat Treats provide the best CBD treats to calm anxious cats. JustPets creates these calming treats with hemp-derived cannabidiol and essential vitamins and minerals such as folic acid, vitamin K, and riboflavin to improve your cat’s overall wellness. Enjoy the chicken flavor to entice your cat, or surprise them by giving them a variety jar with chicken, liver and fish options.
- Made from both organic and domestic hemp
- It is more affordable than other CBD cat treats
- GMOs and pesticides exempt
- Only the liver, turkey, and fish flavors are available in the mix pack
Why we like it Cats are relatively small animals, so having a treat containing one milligram of CBD makes it easy to gradually increase or decrease your cat’s dose for the desired effects. We also love that JustCBD’s pet products come from organic hemp grown and extracted in the USA. They also offer full transparency and third-party lab testing to ensure that their products are high quality CBD cat treats.
How to feed your catEach treat contains one milligram CBD. For an average cat, three to four treats is the recommended daily intake. Two to eight treats per day is a good limit.
2. Runner Up – HolistaPet CBD Cat Treats
HolistaPet supplies high-quality CBD treats for pets. For your cat with sensitive stomach issues, try the HolistaPet CBD Cat Treats made with all-natural ingredients to soothe your cat’s stomach and aid in digestive nausea.
HolistaPet CBD Cat Treats contain full spectrum CBD and other cannabis cannabinoids to make your stressed-out cat feel more at ease. Their CBD cat treats are also grain-free, nutritious, and packed with a salmon flavor your cat won’t want to resist.
- Also great for mobility and joints, inflammation, skin allergies and digestive nausea, as well as aging.
- Made with all natural ingredients
- 30-day money back guarantee and free shipping
- Only available in salmon flavor
Why we like itHolistaPet CBD Cat Treats are loved for their all-natural ingredients. There are no artificial colors or fillers. Only salmon, chicken, peas and yeast are used. We love that the company is cruelty free and that none of its products contain THC.
How to feed your catEach cat treat contains two mg of CBD. For every four pounds of bodyweight, give your cat one treat. You can do this as many times as your cat requires, from every four to eight hours.
3. Best Natural Ingredients – MedTerra
If your cat likes a gentler treat, MedTerra CBD Calming pet Chews might be a good choice. These CBD-infused soft chews with bacon flavor will give your cat a boost in calm.
- Made from organically grown hemp
- GMOs are banned
- There are several subscription options available
- Made from USA-grown hemp
- Treats contain 10 mg of CBD. This makes it difficult to dose for cats with smaller bodies.
Why we like itThese pet chews have CBD and L-Tryptophan. Valerian root has calming effects to help boost your cat’s relaxation. L-Tryptophan, a natural amino acid, can help with anxiety and sleep.
How to feed your catEach chew contains 10mg CBD. Start with half of a treat to test your cat’s reaction. If your cat is not responding to the treatment, you can increase the dosage to one treat. Cats weighing less than 10 pounds should not receive more than one treat.
4. Best Cat Treats for Large Consumption – CBD American Shaman
CBD American Shaman Kitty nugs are a great option for anxious cats who prefer more than one treat. You can mix these full spectrum cat treats with your cat’s regular food to give them a tasty surprise at mealtime.
CBD American Shaman uses only the highest-quality hemp plants grown in USA, which practice agricultural responsibility. This ensures that your cat receives the best CBD treats.
- Made with full-spectrum CBD
- 45-day guarantee
- Only available in chicken flavor
Why we like itCBD American Shaman Kitty Nugs for chicken are made from chicken, peas potatoes, salmon and carrots. It’s also filled with vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B12 to keep your cat’s blood and nerves healthy and riboflavin to help your cat’s body use carbohydrates.
How to feed your cat This treat can supplement your cat’s regular food. A cup of food contains 10 mg CBD. Start with ¼ cup of food once a day—you can mix it with your cat’s regular food or feed it to them by itself.
If your cat is not showing the desired effects, you can increase the dose to ½ cup of treats a day. To prevent your cat from eating too much, you can adjust the amount of regular food that you give to compensate for the extra calories in these treats.
5. Best Treats for Sensitive Stomachs – Koi CBD Cat Treats
Koi salmon-flavored CBD treats for cats will promote happiness and healthiness. These treats are full-spectrum hemp CBD with natural ingredients. They will be a delight for your cat.
- Made with full spectrum hemp CBD and natural components
- High in fiber and protein
- No artificial colors, flavors or preservatives
- Formulated by Veterinarian
- Only available in salmon flavor
Why we like itKoi CBD uses only the best quality ingredients to provide high-quality treats for your cat. These CBD treats, which come in a salmon-flavored flavor, contain full-spectrum hemp, chicken, peas and natural flavoring to entice your cat.
We also appreciate Koi’s transparency on products making the COA available for every product batch available on their website. The COAs are laboratory results that confirm there are no detectable levels or contaminants such as pesticides or solvents. These treats are also veterinarian-formulated and free from gluten, dairy, preservatives, artificial flavors, and preservatives.
How to feed your catEach treat contains two mgs of CBD. For every four pounds body fat, one treat is recommended. You should not give your cat more that one treat within eight to twelve hours.
If your cat seems stressed after the initial dose of the medication, you can increase the dose by one after eight hours.
There were many factors to consider when deciding which healthy cat treats we should recommend. We enjoyed seeing each treat and company adhere to the majority the following criteria.
While companies and brands may be raving about their products, what customers think is more important. Customer reviews are a great way to find out if the products work well and if people are happy with their purchases. They also inform us about possible red flags to be aware of. Before we give a product our approval, we look for calming treats that have at least a four-star rating out of five.
We want our readers to enjoy the products that we feature. This means that they should be reasonably priced. We may share some products that are more expensive than the average CBD cat treat, but most of the products we share fall within similar price ranges.
Pricing is one of the most important aspects we consider.
- High-quality ingredients
- CBD’s potency is the most important. It is usually more expensive.
- Amount of healthy treats included with each package
Reputation for Brands
There are many CBD companies out there, but not all of them adhere to ethical protocols when it is comes to CBD extraction, growth, and production. Reputable CBD brands will be transparent about where their hemp comes from and how they extract it.
They should also conduct third-party testing to ensure that each product is safe and effective. A trusted brand should have customer reviews, contact information and dosing instructions.
All of the calming treats for cats we have on our list have their third-party lab test results available online, so you can look at exactly what you’re feeding your cat.
Shipping and Return Policy
We try to find calming treats brands with free or low-cost shipping to help keep the overall investment in your cat’s health low. We also want to find companies willing to ship nationwide, including Alaska and Hawaii, because we don’t want your location interfering with your cat’s ability to get the best CBD.
We also examine return policies. We also consider return policies. Every cat is unique, so some CBD treats might not be right for them. If you’re not satisfied with a product, you should have the option for an exchange or refund. Brands that offer a refund policy are more likely to be confident in their treats, and will genuinely try to find CBD healthy treats for your feline friend.
We want to ensure that the products we recommend for cats are safe and healthy. We favor companies that use natural or human-grade ingredients. We also look out for products that are free from GMOs, artificial chemicals, and pesticides.
We want to ensure these treats don’t interfere with your cat’s diet and only offer the benefits you need.
What to Consider when Buying Cat Treats
Cat owners who are new to CBD products for their pets may feel overwhelmed by the sheer number of options available. Here are some tips to help you choose the right CBD treatment for your cat.
- Flavors – Many CBD cat treats come in only one or two flavors, usually salmon or chicken. Some cats don’t like chicken or fish flavors. You might consider other CBD treats for your cat if they are picky.
- Calories – If you’re giving your cat multiple CBD treats per day to help manage their anxiety, you may want to consider the calorie count of each treat. You don’t want to overfeed your cat (especially senior cats) and cause weight issues, which can lead to additional problems such as stiff joints or poor digestion.
- Ingredients – You want to look for healthy and safe cat calming treats, which means finding products that primarily come from real food, such as chicken, fish, and vegetables. You can look for labels that say “all-natural” or “human-grade,” meaning the ingredients in the treats are safe for human consumption. You can also search for products that are free from artificial colors and flavors, as well as preservatives.
- CBD Potency – Sometimes CBD treats are labeled as pet or pet-friendly, meaning they are safe for cats and dogs. These treats usually contain a higher level of CBD per treat. A single treat may have too much CBD. For easy and safe dosing, look for products with 1 mg or 2 grams of CBD per treat.
- Reputation for Brands – There are a lot of CBD brands out there, and not all of them follow ethical protocols. Visit a reputable brand’s website. You should easily find information about their product testing, background on the company, and if they’re related to any affiliations such as the National Hemp Association or Hemp Industries Association. Trustworthy brands should have customer reviews from verified buyers. If you have any questions, contact the customer service department. You can also Google a brand’s name to see if there are generally positive or negative sentiments about their products.
Different types of CBD Cat Treats
As a cat owner, you’ve probably seen the wide variety of treats available for your fur baby. Chances are your cat will prefer a certain type of treat. The good news is that CBD treats also come in various types, so you’re sure to find something your feline friend will love.
- Crunchy – Crunchy cat treats are perhaps the most popular type out there. They are similar to dry food but give your cat a little bit of crunchiness. Crunchy treats can also be good for your cat’s oral as they tend to not stick to your cat’s teeth, causing less build-up and tartar than other treats.
- Chews – Chews are the soft option for a cat treat. They’re still in a solid form, but they have a softer consistency. Senior cats may find chews difficult to eat.
- Freeze-Dried – Freeze-dried cat treats have a similar look and consistency to crunchy treats, but they are minimally processed and often made with all-natural ingredients, making them a healthier option for your cat.
- Lickables – Lickable treats are similar to wet food. They are water-based, so your cat can lick them instead of chewing. Lickable treats can be mixed with other foods to encourage your cat try new things.
CBD Cat Treats: Benefits
Federal Drug and Food Administration (FDA), does not allow companies or individuals to make claims about CBD’s health effects. However, CBD products can be used safely by cats, and many vets recommend CBD products.
One of the main benefits to cat calming CBD treatments is that they can reduce stress and anxiety in your cat. Your cat will feel calmer if it eats a CBD treat. This will make stress less intense. This calmness can be beneficial in some cases to help cats sleep better and allow them to eat more easily in stressful situations.
CBD can also be used to treat minor discomfort in your cat. Many cat owners find CBD to improve their cat’s mobility and decrease joint pain due to CBD’s anti-inflammatory nature. Other reported benefits include a happier mood, a shiny coat, and overall better wellness.
CBD Treats for Cats: The First Time
When giving CBD treatments to cats for the first time, there are a few things cat owners should consider.
- All cats are unique.CBD is not the same for all cats. Some cats feel long-lasting effects from CBD even after just one dose. Others require higher doses or multiple doses to get calm. Keep in mind that cats of different ages and sizes may require different amounts.
- All CBD treats are not for all cats. You can try placing the treats in your cat’s food or consider a different flavor or brand. CBD treats can be difficult for cats who are picky eaters.
- CBD is for adult cats.It is not recommended that CBD be used with cats younger than 12 weeks of age.
- Start small and see how your cat reacts.Start CBD at the lowest recommended dose. Keep your cat’s eyes open for several hours after administering CBD. CBD can cause side effects such as dryness of the mouth, nausea, and diarrhea. CBD may cause side effects in your cat such as dry mouth, nausea or diarrhea. Consult your vet immediately if your cat experiences these side effects.
- CBD is safe. However, you should always consult your veterinarian before using it.CBD is not known to cause side effects in cats. However, if your cat has a health concern or is on medication, you should consult with your vet to ensure the CBD won’t interfere with their health.
Other products to calm stressed cats
CBD treats are not for all cats. If your cat doesn’t like the flavors or consistency of most treats, there are other CBD options you can try.
- Oils – CBD oils come from extracting CBD from cannabis and diluting it with an oil like hemp seed oil. CBD oils come with droppers that make it easy to dosing. You can give your cat CBD oil orally. Simply put the recommended amount under the tongue, or mix the oil with cat food.
- Paste – CBD paste is similar to a lickable treat, but they generally come in a syringe-like tube. The syringe makes it easy for you to dose the paste. You place the tube’s opening in the corner of your cat’s mouth. You can also mix the paste with cat food.
- Sprays – If your cat does not like eating anything other than its cat food, you can try a CBD spray. Sprays are similar in nature to oils. However, you spray them on your cat’s fur and not have it consume the CBD. The CBD seeps through the skin and provides comfort and calmness for your cat.
Frequently Asked Question
What are CBD cat treats?
CBD cat treats contain CBD, which is pet-friendly. CBD treats are popular among pet owners for helping their cats to feel calm and relieve anxiety. Some CBD cat treats can also be used to treat skin irritations, joint stiffness and mobility, as well as digestive problems or inflammation.
Is CBD safe to use on pets?
Most veterinarians agree CBD is safe for cats. Every cat is different and each cat will experience different reactions. Some cats may experience side effects such as vomiting or diarrhea. Some cats may not be able to take CBD because they are on medication or have certain health conditions. If you’re considering CBD for your cat, speak with your veterinarian to ensure there are no concerns.
Can CBD help calm stressed cats?
CBD products can help stressed out cats feel calmer. CBD can be used to treat stress just like in humans.
How many treats can I give my cat each day?
The amount of CBD per treatment will determine how many treats you can safely give to your cat. It also depends on your cat’s size, age, and overall health. For a ten-pound cat, CBD brands recommend a dose between two and four milligrams. Repeat the process three to five more times daily, allowing for a few hours between each dose.
Again, each brand and treat is different, so it’s vital to read the directions and follow the recommended dosage instructions.
Can my cat take CBD treatments daily?
Unless otherwise advised by your vet, CBD treats for cats are safe. CBD may be used daily to enhance the effects of CBD and promote calmness and well-being.
What are the healthiest cat treats you can give?
Human-grade ingredients are generally the best for cat treats. If a treat contains human-grade ingredients, it means that the cat treats are safe for humans to consume.
Green tea extract, salmon meal, and chicken meal are some of the common ingredients in healthy cat treats that can calm our feline friends.
What are lickable treats for cats?
Lickable cat treats are similar to wet cat food in consistency. These treats are typically made with water and a puree of meat and sold in pouches. You can squeeze the lickable treat on your cat’s favorite food or treats or allow them to like it right out of the container.
What happens if I give my cat too much food?
You may experience side effects such dry mouth, vomiting and diarrhea if you give too much CBD to your cat. Low blood pressure can also occur in your cat. Your veterinarian should be contacted if your cat experiences any side effects from CBD.
Start your cat on CBD as soon as possible. Don’t administer any more once you notice your cat is experiencing the intended benefits. Avoid combining CBD products. Talk with your veterinarian if you have any questions or concerns about your cat’s reaction to CBD.
You can find more product recommendations from us below.
This post is brought to you by Us Weekly’s Shop With Us team. The Shop With Us team is here to highlight products and services that our readers might find useful and interesting, such as face masks and self-tanners, Lululemon leggings and all the best gifts you can get for everyone in your family. However, the selection of product and service is not intended to be an endorsement of Us Weekly or any celebrity mentioned.
Shop With Us may receive products from manufacturers to test. Us Weekly also receives compensation from the manufacturer for products featured in our articles. This does NOT influence our decision to recommend or not recommend a product or service. Shop With Us is independent from the advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback at ShopWithUs@usmagazine.com. Happy shopping!