Just days after accidentally swallowing pool water while playing with friends, a girl from Sarasota, Florida, is now receiving oxygen therapy at a local hospital. Elianna Grace is only four years old.
The incident, which occurred April 14, is described by her mother, Lacey Grace, as a “freak accident” that occurred when her daughter was playing with a pool noodle in her grandmother’s pool.
As “many children do every day, she was blowing in one end and blowing water out the other,” writes Lacey on her Facebook post, another swimmer grabbed the other end of the pool noodle and blew into it at the same time that Elianna was blowing out.
Pool water shot directly down her throat, according to Fox News. Elianna threw it up, and it didn’t seem like there was anything more to think about it.
But a couple days later, Elianna showed signs of a fever. At first, Lacey wasn’t alarmed because she understood that kids always get fevers and that getting one was “normal.”
But a few days later, when she brought her daughter to urgent care, the doctor ordered Elianna to an emergency room immediately. There, she was diagnosed with aspiration pneumonia, according to Fox News.
Elianna is now on oxygen and is relying on it to breathe, according to her mother. Hopefully, the antibiotic that Elianna is taking will clean out the pool chemicals in her lungs, states the family.
Lacey Grace has started a GoFundMe page https://www.gofundme.com/elianna039s-hospital-fundto help with costs and urges parents to get help immediately if their child swallows pool water.
Thankfully, Elianna has stabilized to the point that she has been released from the hospital and is now being treated at home.
Please pray for Elianna as she continues to recover from her tragic illness. Be sure to read about former President George H.W. Bush as he fights for his life in intensive care just days after his wife Barbara passed away.