Pediatricians Call for Immediate Recall After 32 Infants Die in Popular Sleeper

consumer
April 10, 2019Apr 10, 2019

An American professional association of pediatricians is calling for an immediate recall of all Fischer-Price Rock 'n Play Sleeper, reported ABC.  According to Consumer Reports, at least 32 infants have died in the sleeper.

The American Academy of Pediatrics issued a statement Tuesday urging parents of children of all ages to stop using the popular baby sleeper. They also advised stores selling the sleepers to remove the product from their shelves.

The call comes after a report by Consumer Reports magazine linked Fischer-Price's Rock 'n Play Sleeper to 32 sleep-related infant deaths between 2011 and 2018. Fischer-Price had already released a warning and acknowledged the death of 10 infants.

Fisher-Price's general manager, Chuck Scothon, issued a statement after the report came out. He claimed that the product "meets all applicable safety standards."

"To ensure a safe sleep environment for infants, we remind parents and caregivers to follow all safety warnings included with the product," Scothon said in a statement Tuesday. "Always use the provided restraints, always place infants on their backs to sleep, and make sure that no pillows, blankets or extra padding are placed in the Rock 'n Play Sleeper."

On April 5, the Consumer Product Safety Commission and Fisher-Price jointly issued recommendations telling customers to stop using the sleeper when the infant turns 3 months old or "as soon as an infant exhibits rollover capabilities."

The report cited 10 deaths that occurred since 2015 after infants rolled from their backs to their stomachs or sides.

The American Academy of Pediatrics said the warning is not enough to ensure safety.

"This product is deadly and should be recalled immediately," Dr. Kyle Yasuda, president of the American Academy of Pediatrics, said in the Tuesday statement.

The Consumer Reports investigation included the deaths of babies younger than 3 months. The cause of death listed for some of the babies was asphyxia.

"When parents purchase a product for their baby or child, many assume that if it's being sold in a store, it must be safe to use," Yasuda said. "Tragically, that is not the case."

Please share this with anyone who has an infant! In other sad news, the McCain family is in mourning again after another tragic loss. 

Next: Beloved Craft Store Announces They're Closing All of Their LocationsJan 30, 2019