In touch with nature — and herself. Amy SmartHe is perhaps best known for his role in hit movies such as Just FriendsAnd The Butterfly Effect — and on fan favorite TV shows, including Felicity, Scrubs, Shameless and more — but she’s also incredibly attuned to the environment.
Exclusively revealed by the new issue of Us Weekly that she is all about “earthing” and interacting with nature. “Getting my bare feet in the ground,” she says, is very important to her. She also loves composting her food.
Smart began her acting career in the early ‘90s, soon becoming a household name due to roles inStarship TroopersAnd Varsity Blues. It was during this period that she met Jared Leto “on the set of a really cheesy music video,” she tells UsShe explained that she was only a teenager at the moment.
Parts in helped her career to continue to flourish in the 2000s. Rat Race, Ted Hamilton is your date!, Just FriendsMore. The Starsky and HutchThe small screen made her a household name. After a recurring role as Ruby on the late ‘90s/early 2000s drama series FelicitySmart found success on TV with roles Scrubs, Shameless, JustifiedAnd Stargirl.
Los Angeles native, who lives with her husband, finds time to be away from work. Carter OosterhouseFlora, a 5-year-old girl. Smart tells Us that having a child later in life “was worth the wait.”) In addition to her family unit, the Road Trip actress also reveals that she brings her indoor plants — and two pets — when she goes on vacation with her husband and daughter.
Keep scrolling to learn even more fun facts about Smart, including her favorite ‘80s movie and details about her upcoming skincare line:
1. I love backgammon so much, I entered a tournament to play it. I was even very close to winning it!
2. I’ve always been a seeker and a self-help and spiritual book junkie. The first ones I ever read were Mars is for men, Venus is for womenAnd Way of the Peaceful WarriorIn my teens.
3. I’m left-handed, and so are my mom and dad.
4. I’m a certified Kundalini yoga teacher.
5. I make my water using a handheld device.
6. I love animals, but I’m truly a cat person at heart.
7. In general, I’m more interested in documentaries than films.
8. I love being on the ground and earthing. I was also part in a documentary called The Earthing Movie.
9. I compost. I compost.
10. I have a huge gong that’s tuned to the frequency of Jupiter. This is what I learned from Kundalini Yoga. I know it sounds a bit out there …
11. Blue is my favorite color.
12. My favorite drink is a Cosmo.
13. Carter Oosterhouse, my husband, and I went on our first date in Lake Michigan.
14. I was 40 when I became a mom. It was worth it!
15. We love our indoor plants, and often travel with them to long-term locations. Our cat and dog are always welcome to join us.
16. I’m developing a natural skincare line called Seed & Flora, coming out toward the end of this year.
17. I decided to learn how the baritone Ukulele was played last year.
18. I love to cook and to read cookbooks in bed at night to discover new recipes.
19. I’m so curious about life that my teacher called me Curious George when I was a kid because I asked so many questions.
20. Jared Leto was 16 when I met him and we became friends while working on a very silly music video.
21. My first modeling job was when I was 14 years old. Robinsons-MayCatalog wearing a Tweety Bird nightgown
22. My favorite movie growing-up was Dirty Dancing.
23. My first acting gig was in a Rock the Vote vignette opposite. Giovanni RibisiAnd Nick Stahl. I played a coked-up woman and sniffed milk powder.
24. BoccaLupo is my favorite Atlanta restaurant.
25. I’ll be participating in Actors Summit, doing a Q&A from May 20 to May 22.