Us Weekly is an affiliate partner, so we may get compensation for certain links to products and/or services.
In the world of haircare, finding just the right fit for you can be a challenge, especially if you’re looking for the best hypoallergenic shampoos — not to mention conditioners and leave-in treatments. Concentrating on hypoallergenic shampoos, however, is what we consider the most important first step, as it’s the product you’re massaging into your scalp. If you have sensitive skin, you want to make sure you’re not leaving your scalp irritated when you’re cleansing it. Your skin should feel soft and not irritated by shampoo.
If you’ve ever used a shampoo and your scalp became itchy, red or irritated, you may be allergic or sensitive to specific common ingredients in hair products. Hypoallergenic shampoos may be the best choice!
What makes shampoo hypoallergenic?
The FDA defines hypoallergenic cosmetics as “products that manufacturers claim produce fewer allergic reactions than other cosmetic products.” That often means they contain no artificial dyes or fragrances — almost like free and clear soaps and detergents. There aren’t necessarily super strict rules, so some people’s/companies’ definitions could vary.
We also like to look for products that fit into clean beauty standards, meaning they’re free of ingredients like sulfates, parabens, phthalates, silicones, gluten and other potential allergens. We love seeing dermatologists’ approval too. It’s even better when a brand is completely transparent about their process. Many companies hide harmful ingredients from customers. That’s why we’re here to sift through them and find the best hypoallergenic shampoos for you!
The 13 Best Hypoallergenic Shampoos
1. Briogeo Be gentle, be kind Aloe + Oat milk Ultra Soothing Fragrance free Hypoallergenic Shampoo
Our overall favorite
This shampoo is less than two years old at the time we’re writing this, but it’s already made a huge impact on the hair scene. It’s hypoallergenic and dermatologist-approved, made without any fragrance, sulfates SLS or SLES, essential oils, silicones, parabens, phthalates or artificial dyes. It’s from one of our favorite Black-owned beauty brands too!
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Aloe vera and oat milk are key ingredients that provide ultra-soothing benefits.
- A relatively small bottle for the money
Available at: Dermstore, Sephora, Ulta, Amazon, Nordstrom
2. The Honest Company Shampoo and Body Wash, Purely Sensitive
Hot tip when shopping for the best hypoallergenic shampoos: Don’t ignore the “baby” products! These products might also be great for your hair and skin. This shampoo comes from Jessica Alba‘s brand, which doubles as a body wash, is free of synthetic fragrances, parabens, dyes, phthalates, formaldehyde donors, SLS and SLES!
- Accepted By the National Eczema Association
- Natural ingredients
- Due to the design of the bottle, it may be difficult for you to use all of it.
Available at: Amazon
3. Vanicream Free & Clear Shampoo
This dermatologist-tested sensitive skin shampoo is free of no-nos like gluten, sulfates, synthetic fragrances and more. It’s made for all hair types and may help remove build-up and residue clinging to hair to leave it sleeker, cleaner and more manageable!
- Approved by shoppers with curly and wavy hair
- According to some reviewers, may be better for oilier scalps than dry
Available at: Target, Amazon
4. Philip B Gentle Conditioning Shampoo
This super mild shampoo is made with botanical agents like African shea butter, as well as panthenol, a.k.a. vitamin B5, for healthy, bouncy, pH-balanced locks. It’s so gentle, one shopper even says they use it to go longer between medicated shampoo uses for seborrheic dermatitis!
- Safe for color-treated hair
- Nice lather
Available at: Dermstore, Nordstrom
5. Pipette Baby Shampoo/Wash, Fragrance-Free
Moisturizing Pick for Dry Hair/Scalp
First off, let’s address how adorable the bottle is for this shampoo. And that wildly low price? With hundreds and hundreds of adoring reviewers? There’s pretty much no reason to not give this popular pick a try. It’s non-toxic and tear-free, making it safe for all ages!
- 2000+ potentially harmful ingredients blacklisted from formula
- EWG (Environmental Working Group) Verified™
- While fragrance-free, some shoppers report that it does have a noticeable scent, which could bother some
Available at: Target, Ulta, Anthropologie, Amazon, Walmart
6. ATTITUDE Liquid Hair Shampoo, Unscented
Sensitive scalps will be itching for this pick — but not after they experience it! Say goodbye to itch and irritation with this super gentle shampoo, made with plant-based and mineral-based ingredients. This fragrance-free, hypoallergenic shampoo is made with blueberry leaves and is dermatologically-tested. It’s also vegan and cruelty-free!
- Free of silicones, SLS, phthalates, parabens, formaldehyde
- Eco-refills available
7. No Nothing Very Sensitive Repair Shampoo
Best for Ultra-Damaged Hair
This reconstructing shampoo features amino acids to strengthen damaged hair, leaving out any colorants, perfumes, gluten, soy and parabens. It’s cruelty-free and was designed to leave out anything the brand didn’t deem necessary. Shampoos don’t need to be loaded with ingredients to be effective!
- Approved by the Finnish Allergy & Asthma Association
- No essential oils
Available at: Amazon
8. Kristin Ess Fragrance-Free Daily Cleansing Shampoo
The Daily Clarifying Find
If you like washing your hair often or like to shampoo, rinse and repeat, you want to make sure you’re not using a stripping shampoo. This pick is color- and keratin-safe and free of parabens, phthalates, fragrance, silicone, sulfates and gluten. It’s cruelty-free, vegan and has hundreds of reviews!
- Comes in bigger size as well
- Great lather even without sulfates
- May need to shampoo twice in a row to avoid greasiness
Available at: Target
9. HiBAR Fragrance-Free Solid Shampoo
Plastic-Free Solid Shampoo
Sick of wasting plastic with shampoo bottles? Try a shampoo bar instead! This fragrance-free pick is soap-free and meets our clean beauty standards, free of everything from sulfates, to gluten, to silicones. It comes in a nice ergonomic shape too to keep it from slipping from your hand!
- Formulated for multiple hair types: straight, wavy, curly and coily
- Harder to store than a traditional shampoo bottle
Available at: Amazon, Target
10. Philip Kingsley No Scent No Color Gentle Shampoo
For Delicate Scalps
This specifically hypoallergenic shampoo was created when Philip Kingsley’s wife was going through chemotherapy so she would have something super gentle to use. It’s made with glycerides to provide moisture, and it’s free of fragrance, parabens and dyes. Easily irritated scalp? Check this one out!
- 100% recyclable and CO2 negative
- Great for fine, thin hair
- Possibly a little expensive for the size options
Available at: Saks Fifth Avenue, Amazon, Walmart
11. Odele Ultra-Sensitive Shampoo
Excellent for Eczema-Prone Skin
Numerous picks on this list could be eczema-friendly, but this salon-grade pick is formulated for it. It also notes right on the bottle that it’s accepted by the National Eczema Association! It’s free of sulfates, formaldehyde, phthalates, parabens, dye and fragrance, it’s dermatologist-tested and the packaging is made from over 40% recycled plastic!
- Contains soothing oat extract
- Gender-neutral and “meant to be shared”
- May be hard to get a good lather
Available at: Target
12. CeraVe Baby Wash & Shampoo
When it comes to gentle cosmetics, CeraVe is always brought into the conversation. This fragrance-free, dye-free shampoo and wash is another eczema-approved pick, and it’s made with skin-friendly ingredients like ceramides, niacinamide and hyaluronic acid!
- Developed with pediatric dermatologists
- Claims to leave zero residue
- Formula is on the watery side
Available at: Walmart, Amazon
13. Melanin Haircare African Black Soap Reviving Shampoo
Best for Black Hair
This clarifying shampoo is free of just about every bad ingredient you can think of, including sulfates, mineral oil, coal tar and more. It’s made specifically to help detoxify and define curly hair and contains amazing ingredients like turmeric root and cocoa butter!
- Enhanced with pro-vitamin B5
- Contains anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal black cumin seed
- Does contain synthetic fragrance, but less than 1%!
Available at Target, Ulta
Other Hypoallergenic Shampoos We Like
You want to see more of our favorite picks? You can also check out these other products:
This post is brought to you by Us Weekly’s Shop With Us team. The Shop With Us team strives to highlight products that readers might find useful or interesting. This includes face masks, self-tanners and Lululemon-style leggings. The selection of products and services is not meant to be an endorsement by Us Weekly or any celebrity mentioned in this post.
Shop With Us may receive products from manufacturers to test. Us Weekly also receives compensation from the manufacturer for products featured in our articles. This does NOT influence our decision to recommend or not recommend a product or service. Shop With Us operates independently of the advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback at ShopWithUs@usmagazine.com. Have a great shopping experience!