White House Press Secretary Responds to Release of Nunes Memo

politics
February 02, 2018Feb 02, 2018

After the Nunes Memo was released on Friday, White House Press Secretary issued a statement.

"Earlier today, President Donald J. Trump declassified a memorandum from the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence," acknowledged Sarah Huckabee Sanders.

According to Saagar Enjeti‏, White House Correspondent for The Daily Caller, she continued: "The memorandum raises serious concerns about the integrity of decisions made at the highest levels of the Department of Justice and the FBI to use the Government’s most intrusive surveillance tools against American citizens."

https://twitter.com/esaagar/status/959507943791218689

Sanders added, explaining why the White House proceeded with the release, "This decision was made with input from the President's national security team—including law enforcement officials and members of the intelligence community, for whom the President has great respect. He is especially grateful to the hardworking rank-and-file public servants who work every day to keep America safe and uphold our laws while protecting the constitutional rights of all Americans."

She concluded, "Minority members of the Committee have reportedly drafted a separate memorandum. The Administration stands ready to work with Congress to accommodate oversight requests constant with applicable standards, kindling the need to protect intelligence sources and methods."

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/959478759782043648

President Donald Trump ordered the release of a secret memo, which has been the centerpiece of the latest controversy surrounding Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s ongoing investigation into Russian election interference.

Rep. Devin Nunes from California wrote the memo. Republicans say it includes staggering information proving FBI bias against President Trump. On the other hand, Democrats claim that the memo omits key facts and is a tool to distract from the Russia investigation.

President Trump’s insistence on releasing has caused conflict between the White House and the FBI. FBI Director Christopher Wray released a statement about the memo.

“The F.B.I. was provided a limited opportunity to review this memo the day before the committee voted to release it,” the bureau said in a statement referencing the House Intelligence Committee. “As expressed during our initial review, we have grave concerns about material omissions of fact that fundamentally impact the memo’s accuracy.”

CNN warned that the memo's release threatens "to further fracture the frayed relationship between the President and his Justice Department and intelligence community, both of which opposed the release of the document, which is based on classified intelligence."

The Nunes memo alleges that the FBI used the opposition research dossier on Trump and Russia, which was written by ex-British intelligence agent Christopher Steele, to secure a FISA surveillance warrant on former Trump foreign policy adviser Carter Page. They did so without disclosing that the dossier was paid for by Democratic sources.

In a statement earlier in the week, Nunes said, "It's clear that top officials used unverified information in a court document to fuel a counter-intelligence investigation during an American political campaign."

Democrats have dismissed the memo as a "'profoundly misleading' Republican document that's intended to undermine special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation by targeting Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein and former Deputy FBI Director Andrew McCabe, who stepped down earlier this week," said CNN.

In other news, liberals are raging after the release of the memo. 

 

Next: Furious Liberal Leaders Scrambling to Denounce Russia Memo, Just ReleasedFeb 02, 2018