What These Amherst Students Are Demanding Might Make Your Head EXPLODE
Students at Amherst College in Massachusetts are using their right to free speech, as guaranteed by the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, to attack the right to free speech for their fellow students and faculty.
The University of Missouri has garnered a lot of national attention with its president and chancellor stepping down amid calls that they didn't do enough to stop racist speech on campus. But what Amherst students are demanding now might make your head explode.
A letter by the new student group Amherst Uprising was published in the Amherst Soul and made the following demands:
1. Fix the whole world. It's Amherst College's duty to "become a leader in the fight to promote a better social climate towards individuals who have been systematically oppressed." And not just in the local community, but in the entire world.
2. Apologize to everyone for everything. The president of the college must apologize to everyone who has been a victim of the following institutional injustices: "White supremacy, colonialism, anti-black racism, anti-Latinx racism, anti-Native American racism, anti-Native/ indigenous racism, anti-Asian racism, anti-Middle Eastern racism, heterosexism, cis-sexism, xenophobia, anti-Semitism, ableism, mental health stigma, and classism."
3. Complete protection for our movement. The campus police must protect everyone involved in Amherst Uprising from any form of retaliation or disagreement.
4. Punishment and forced reeducation for those who disagree with us. Prosecution of the racist students who posted "All Lives Matter" and "Free Speech" posters. Violators will "be required to attend extensive training for racial and cultural competency."
5. Removal of the racist mascot. Lord Jeff and any imagery associated with him must be banished.
6. Time off for protesting. Students must have their absences excused for the two days they were protesting instead of attending classes and showing up for campus jobs.
7. Complete and total agreement and compliance from faculty. The alumni office must send an email of agreement with Amherst Uprising to all former students.
8. Acknowledge that this is just the beginning. Realize that we have only just begun to make demands, and these initial demands will "by no means achieve all of the goals we will set forth."
9. Fix things IMMEDIATELY or we'll riot. All these goals must be achieved within the next 48 hours or "we will organize and respond in a radical manner, through civil disobedience."
It's astounding that these students are actually continuing to attend and give their tuition money to such an — apparently — hateful institution of higher learning.