Weinstein Breaks Silence About Assault Allegations and Wife's Decision to Leave

america
October 11, 2017Oct 11, 2017

Last week, reports revealed that Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein paid several women to remain silent after he harassed them. Weinstein would reportedly prey on young actresses, models, and assistants who were trying to make a name for themselves in Hollywood. 

Weinstein has faced a plethora of repercussions since his actions became public. He was fired from his production company, his membership was revoked from the British Academy of Film and Television Arts, and he has left the country to begin rehab. 

Weinstein not only faced repercussions in his professional life but in his personal life as well. On Tuesday, Weinstein's wife, Georgina Chapman, announced that she is leaving her husband of 10 years. 

She said, "My heart breaks for all the women who have suffered tremendous pain because of these unforgivable actions. I have chosen to leave my husband. Caring for my young children is my first priority and I ask the media for privacy at this time."

On Wednesday, Weinstein released his own statement about the situation and about his wife's decision. 

He said, "Over the last week, there has been a lot of pain for my family that I take responsibility for. I sat down with my wife Georgina, who I love more than anything, and we discussed what was best for our family. We discussed the possibility of a separation, and I encouraged her to do what was in her heart. In the end, she made the decision to separate."

Weinstein left on Tuesday night to enter a rehab facility. He will receive treatment for behavioral issues and for his sex addiction. He said that after he is "better," he hopes that Georgina and his two children will be a part of his life again. 

He said, "I understand, I love her, and I love our children, and hopefully, when I am better, I will be in their lives again. I support her decision, I am in counseling and perhaps, when I am better, we can rebuild."

Weinstein also released a statement about the allegations. His lawyer had originally called the allegations "false and defamatory," but the producer admitted that he was at fault.  

He said, "I came of age in the 60's and 70's, when all the rules about behavior and workplaces were different. That was the culture then. I have since learned it's not an excuse, in the office—or out of it. To anyone. I realized some time ago that I needed to be a better person and my interactions with the people I work with have changed."

"I appreciate [that] the way I've behaved with colleagues in the past has caused a lot of pain, and I sincerely apologize for it," he continued. "Though I'm trying to do better, I know I have a long way to go. That is my commitment."

What do you think about this? Let us know your thoughts on Facebook. For more breaking news, read our latest article about the surprising ESPN protest that liberal celebrities are calling for.

Next: Liberal Celebrities Announce Surprising ESPN Boycott After Suspension of Jemele Hill Oct 11, 2017