It would certainly be unprecedented. But much of this election process so far has bucked the norms.
According to The New York Times, a Donald Trump-Bernie Sanders debate that would not include Hillary Clinton is getting very close to being a reality. While it is highly unusual for the presumptive nominee of one party to debate someone other than the self-declared nominee of the other, this debate would be done for charity. In fact, that was Trump's idea.
“If I debated him we would have such high ratings and I think we should take that money and give it to some worthy charity. If we paid a nice sum toward a charity, I would love to do that,” Trump said.
Bernie replied on Twitter, “Game on. I look forward to debating Donald Trump in California before the June 7 primary.”
With two fiery personalities facing off, it would almost certainly be a greatly watched debate. In a CNBC opinion piece, Jake Novak said it would not only be the most-watched of Sanders' career but also Hillary's "worst nightmare" as she would not be there to defend herself ahead of the huge California primary.
As for which network would host this legendary face-off, FOX has shown the most interest.
What do you think of this?