Fans of Tom Petty were devastated to learn of his unexpected death in October of last year. He was only 66 years old.
The autopsy report has just been released and fans of the late singer were devastated to learn the cause. According to the report released by the Los Angeles County Coroner, Petty's organs failed due to "mixed Drug toxicity."
According to TMZ, "The autopsy report says when paramedics arrived he was in full cardiac arrest, but CPR revived him -- but on the way to the hospital he lost pulse for 20 minutes. He went into cardiac arrest a second time in the hospital and died 21 hours after being admitted."
Petty had been on several pain medications at the time of his death which was prescribed to him for various medical problems. Fentanyl patches, oxycodone, temazepam, alprazolam, citalopram, acetyl fentanyl and despropionyl fentanyl had all been prescribed for his emphysema, knee problems, as well as a fractured hip.
Following the news of his cause of death, his family released a statement commenting on the results.
"Despite this painful injury he insisted on keeping his commitment to his fans and he toured for 53 dates with a fractured hip and, as he did, it worsened to a more serious injury," their post says. The family said the fracture upgraded to a full-on break and they believe the pain "was simply unbearable" and the cause of his "overuse of medication."
"As a family we recognize this report may spark a further discussion on the opioid crisis and we feel that it is a healthy and necessary discussion and we hope in some way this report can save lives. Many people who overdose begin with a legitimate injury or simply do not understand the potency and deadly nature of these medications," the statement reads.
Our hearts go out to his family during this difficult time and we pray those who struggle with a similar addiction could get the help they need. Please let us know your thoughts and prayers for the family. In other recent news, devastating photos have just been released of the tortured 13 siblings' former home.