The Department of Justice has just released information about a thwarted terrorist attack last year. There were three men involved, and they intended to attack concerts in New York City, reported ABC News.
The Justice Department press release listed the names of the men involved. All three have been arrested, and one pleaded guilty to the conspiracy.
The men are Abdulrahman el Bahnasawy, a 19-year-old Canadian citizen; Tahla Haroon, 19-year-old U.S. citizen living in Pakistan; and Russell Salic, a 37-year-old Philippine citizen.
El Bahnasawy purchased bomb-making materials that he intended to use in the attacks in New York City. In May 2016, he was arrested. His accomplices were arrested in September 2016 and April 2017 respectively.
“The alleged plot was to have been carried out in the summer of 2016.”
The court records of the details of the attack, including where they were to take place. El Bahnasawy and his accomplices hoped to detonate bombs in Times Square, the New York City subway system, as well as shooting civilians at specified concert venues.
They made the plan via the internet. They hoped to bring it to fruition during the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.
“Communicating through Internet messaging applications, these three men allegedly plotted to conduct bombings and shootings in heavily populated areas of New York City during the Islamic holy month of Ramadhan in 2016, all in the name of ISIS," said the press release.
El Bahnasawy has pled guilty to the charges against him. Haroon and Salic were both arrested in foreign countries, so they have not been charged in the U.S. court system.
"It is the hope and expectation of this Office and U.S. law enforcement that they will be extradited to the United States to face justice in a United States court," related the press release.
There was a rumored attack on Times Square today, October 6th, but this has no connection to that. ABC News calls that a “non-credible threat.”
“The FBI had warned law enforcement partners of a potential threat to New York City's Times Square,” said ABC News, citing a situational information report they obtained.
The scare came after an Instagram user posted a threat on the social media platform. The post was made on Wednesday afternoon.
“I’m a Syrian refugee and I'm going to do something big in New York on Friday,” read the post. “I’m going to make the Las Vegas attack look small on Friday at Times Square."
However, ABC News reports that the FBI and New York City Police do not give credence to the report. They reached this conclusion after the FBI traced the IP address of the post to South Africa.
"The NYPD is aware of this online threat," police said in a statement Friday. "It is very common to receive these types of postings in the aftermath of significant events throughout the world. There is no reason to believe this threat has any particular credibility. We have significant regular security resources in Times Square and continuously monitor the threat levels in this area.”
Please pray that no one decides to copy-cat the October 1st shooting in Las Vegas. No more lives need to be lost.
In other news, a famous fashion designer passed away. Find out the dress we wouldn’t have had without his design skills.