Suspect Named in Horrific School Shooting, Had Threatened Students Previously

america
February 14, 2018Feb 14, 2018

Horrifying details keep emerging about a mass shooting in Florida that some are likening to the 1999 Columbine High School massacre. An unknown number of people have been killed or injured, and now the suspected shooter has been identified.

Helicopter footage showed police putting a young man in handcuffs before carting him away in an ambulance outside Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School near Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Wednesday afternoon.

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/963888008968720385

The arrest came after a gunman walked into the school and started shooting, prompting someone to pull the fire alarm as students and teachers huddled on the floor in their classrooms. One video we won’t show here because of its harsh language showed students screaming as bullets flew over their heads, smashing into computer screens on the desk above them.

Not a lot else is known yet about what exactly went on inside the multi-story high school complex, but CNN is reporting that at least two people are dead and at least 14 have been taken to the hospital. Broward County Public Schools Superintendent Robert Runcie said the fatalities were “numerous,” and some reports have put the number of victims as high as 50.

Police arrived shortly before 3 p.m. Eastern and raided the school. The Miami Herald was the first to release the name of the shooting suspect.

CBS News later confirmed his identity, saying he is 19-year-old Nicolas Cruz. Cruz is a former student who has caused problems at the school before.

Math teacher Jim Gard explained, “We were told last year that he wasn’t allowed on campus with a backpack on him. There were problems with him last year threatening students, and I guess he was asked to leave campus.”

Runcie, however, says the school received no direct warnings about Wednesday’s attack. Fox News reported that the suspect’s social media activity showed a fascination with guns and Syrian resistance groups.

President Trump, First Lady Melania, and Trump’s faith adviser Pastor Robert Jeffress have responded to the shooting and asked our nation to pray for the victims and the community.

Watch live updates below:

Next: President Trump, Melania Respond to Horrific Valentine's Day School ShootingFeb 14, 2018