Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus spoke recently to a student audience at George Washington University, instructing them on what he thinks will take the Republican party into a future of greater influence, according to a recent Breitbart article.
As political analysts have pointed out, voters prefer a party that is pro-something rather than anti-something. Priebus spoke to the young voters about the Republican "pro-" stances. The policy platform described by Priebus is listed below:
1. CONSTITUTION: Our constitution should be preserved, valued, and honored.
2. ECONOMY: We need to start growing America’s economy instead of Washington’s economy so that working Americans see better wages and more opportunity.
3. BUDGET/DEBT: We need to pass a Balanced Budget Amendment to the Constitution, make government more efficient, and leave the next generation with opportunity, not debt.
4. HEALTHCARE: We need to start over with real healthcare reform that puts patients and their doctors in charge, not unelected bureaucrats in Washington.
5. VETERANS: Our veterans have earned our respect and gratitude, and no veteran should have to wait in line for months or years just to see a doctor.
6. SECURITY: Keeping America safe and strong requires a strong military, growing the economy, energy independence, and secure borders.
7. EDUCATION: Every child should have an equal opportunity to get a great education; no parent should be forced to send their child to a failing school.
8. POVERTY: The best anti-poverty program is a strong family and a good job, so our focus should be on getting people out of poverty by lifting up all people and helping them find work.
9. VALUES: Our country should value the traditions of family, life, religious liberty, and hard work.
10. ENERGY: We should make America energy independent by encouraging investment in domestic energy, lowering prices, and creating jobs at home.
11. IMMIGRATION: We need an immigration system that secures our borders, upholds the law, and boosts our economy.
BreitBart quotes Priebus as saying, "If anyone asks, how's the Republican party going to work for me? These principles are part of the answer," and goes on to say he cited "policy solutions from Republican leaders such as Sens. Rand Paul, Mike Lee, and Marco Rubio as well as Republican House leaders like Speaker John Boehner, and Reps. Jim Jordan and Paul Ryan."
Is the future success of the Republican party depending on what they stand for rather than against? Share your thoughts in the comments below!