Pres. Trump Announces $1 Million to Benefit Vegas Shooting First Responders

politics
October 11, 2017Oct 11, 2017

The Department of Justice is to provide the city of Las Vegas with a $1 million grant in order to assist with the overtime cost for those helping with the Route 91 shooting investigation. In a press release given to the media Tuesday afternoon, it is claimed that the grant will be drawn from the emergency response funds within the Bureau of Justice Assistance. 

The announcement came just moments after President Trump tweeted that he would be providing a major grant to law enforcement. 

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/918201878479073280

According to USA Today, President Trump believes that the $1 million will help offset the overtime costs related tot he investigation of the mass shooting earlier this month. On top of that, the funds recognize the hard work and dedication of law enforcement officers throughout Las Vegas, who have worked long and hard hours in the wake of the tragic shooting. 

The Department of Justice will continue to work with Las Vegas officials to address law enforcement and public safety costs related to the tragedy. 

Earlier this month, more than 50 people were killed and over 500 were injured in the worst mass shooting in modern American history when a lone gunman opened fire during a country music festival from the 32nd floor of a Las Vegas hotel. 

The suspect was soon identified by law enforcement as Stephen Paddock, 64, according to NBC News. 

Police first responded to reports of the shooting just after 10 pm. The suspect was fatally shot at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino. Authorities found several weapons in Paddock's room after using explosives to enter, law enforcement reported. 

“We heard what sounded like firecrackers going off. Then all of a sudden we heard what sounded like a machine gun. People started screaming that they were hit… When we started running out there were probably a couple hundred [people] on the ground,” described one woman, according to MSNBC.

Trump tweeted shortly after Sanders made her statement, writing that "My warmest condolences and sympathies to the victims and families of the terrible Las Vegas shooting. God bless you!"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/914810093874671617

Sarah Sanders said on Twitter that the thoughts and prayers of the White House are with all of those affected by the shooting in Las Vegas. She then called the shootings senseless and a tragedy. 

"We are all with you," she said. 

https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/914819090350530560

Vice President Mike Pence also responded, claiming that he and his wife are both praying and offering their love for all of the Americans who died in the shooting in Las Vegas. 

https://twitter.com/VP/status/914815390374666241

In breaking news, please read our story about the bodies of 21 Christian martyrs who were just found and are to be returned to their families. 

Next: Bodies of 21 Christian Martyrs Found, Returned To FamiliesOct 11, 2017