If You Use an Outdoor Grill, You and Your Kids are at Risk of This Scary Threat

consumer
August 07, 2017Aug 07, 2017

Summertime should be full of sunshine, playing in the water, spending time with the kids before they head back to school, and backyard barbecues. If your typical summer plans include utilizing the outdoor grill, however, you need to take caution.

This summer, multiple stories have emerged about people having to be hospitalized after a scary discovery found in their outdoor grills. The cause of the incidents? Wire brushes.

It is common to use wire brushes to clean outdoor grills after they are used. What is often overlooked, however, is how easy it is for those wire brushes to become loose during the cleaning process, thus causing some wires to fall onto the grill.

Jenna Kuchik, a mother in Alberta, Canada, recently shared her son’s horrifying story to her Facebook page. Kuchik had read an article earlier in the summer about the harms of wire brushes. After reading the article, she ordered a wooden grill cleaner. Before having a chance to switch brushes, Kuchik’s family experienced the exact trauma that they were trying to avoid.

Her family was sitting down to eat BBQ chicken. Soon after, her son started crying, complaining that there was something in his throat. Jenna’s husband assumed it was a piece of the brush and checked the other chicken for it. Sure enough, he found wires in multiple pieces of the chicken.

The Kuchik family rushed their son to the emergency room. He was gagging and spitting for nearly 2 hours before he was able to undergo surgery. He had two pieces of wire brush removed, and is expected to make a full recovery.

Kuchik wrote, “It was the most awful and difficult 24 hours of my life watching my son in so much pain, not being able to do anything to make it better and knowing that this could have been 100% avoidable…I am so grateful he is okay, but I just don’t ever want something like this to happen to someone else.”

In a statement to GoodHousekeeping.com, Kuchik said, “I hope that other parents who read this, or stories like this, take it seriously. We had just read an article about something like this a few months earlier, ordered a wooden grill cleaner, but never got around to using it. You never think something like this will happen to you or your kids. I can’t stress enough that this is 100% avoidable. Please, if you are using a metal BBQ brush, throw it out and find an alternative method to clean your grill.”

What do you think about this? Have you had problems like this? If you have friends or family with outdoor grills, share this on Facebook to bring awareness to the harms of wire brushes! If you have a dog, you will also want to know about the recent recall of a popular dog food brand after a harmful discovery was made.

Next: Popular Dog Food Brand Recalled after Discovery of Harmful MistakeAug 04, 2017