Iconic Singer Steps Up in Heartfelt Way for Vegas Shooting Victims

america
October 04, 2017Oct 04, 2017

On Sunday, October 1, the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history took place. A gunman shot and killed at least 58 people and injured at least 500 more.

In the aftermath of the tragedy, people around the country have been rallying together, trying to figure out to process the grief and how to help. Several celebrities have stepped up to offer thoughts, prayers, and financial support to the many victims affected by this horrific incident.

One such celebrity is iconic singer Celine Dion. On Tuesday night, the singer performed at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas.

When the 49-year-old took the stage, she began her concert in a different way than she ever had before. She held back tears and began speaking about the incident before singing.

She said, “I hope that you’re dong OK. Before we start the show, I need to talk to you for a moment…I never start the show like this but tonight is different.”

Dion said that she had a hard time deciding whether or not she would continue on with this specific show, only two days after the attack took place in the same city. She said that she went back and forth on the decision for a while, until she came up with an idea of how to help.

The singer announced that all of the proceeds from the show would go directly to the families of the victims.

https://twitter.com/lauragmajor/status/915412301884284928

Dion had previously posted on Instagram to share her sympathies.

Dion is not the only celebrity who has committed to making significant financial donations to the victims and their families. Clark County Commission Chair Steve Sisolak and County Sheriff Joe Lombardo started a GoFundMe to raise money for the victims. Mike Tyson, country duo Florida Georgia Line, and the Chainsmokers all donated $10,000 to the fund. In total, the GoFuneMe has reached over $8.4 million as of Wednesday morning.

YouTube sensation Casey Neistat started a GoFundMe as well, with a goal of $1 million. Additionally, the entire cast of “Mean Girls” created a GoFundMe campaign on October 3, a day that is significant to fans of the show. 

What do you think about Dion and other celebrities' contributions? Let us know your thoughts and continued prayers on Facebook. For breaking news, read our latest article about the surprising details about the gunman's girlfriend that were just revealed.

Next: Surprising Details Revealed About the Girlfriend of Las Vegas AttackerOct 04, 2017